Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mirena IUD

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:08 AM
  • 28 Replies
Anyone have it while breastfeeding? Im currently exclusively pumping once again for another preemie with the hopes to possibly get him nursing exclusively in a few weeks to a month. I had the copper iud last time and had a reaction to the copper. This time Im leaning towards mirena.
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tobysmom103
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:43 AM
I got mirena put in when my youngest was 12 weeks and breastfed her till a month ago when she was 17 month's. So no issues here but I do personally know people that had issues with mirena so depends on the person I guess
melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:47 AM
I had the Mirena while exclusively pumping and had effect on my supply.
I did have miserable bleeding, tender boobs nausea, painful intercourse for my husband.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I recommend NFP. The book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is a wonderful resource.
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:26 PM
I practiced that for 3 years before getting pregnant with this baby. I need something currently that I dont havento think about or remember.

Quoting MusherMaggie: I recommend NFP. The book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is a wonderful resource.
bebcarroll
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:35 PM
I used Mirena after my second. It went in when he was 12 weeks old, by 16 weeks old I had to supplement with formula, my supply was so low. I also had not stop spotting, I gained 70 lbs, I had no sex drive, I could feel the strings constantly and the last straw??? I got pregnant anyway! Now, I will say, I was actually able to carry that pregnancy to term, but since the Mirena was in when I got pregnant (the doc was able to remove it, it was on its way out anyway)the doc suspectsvthat is why my placenta attached in the wrong way and I ended up with placental abruption. I had my tubes tied.

I would see about depo or nor plant or one of the other long term ones.

Oh, and that baby? Best thing that ever happened.
Liz132
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 8:53 PM

I had a mirena before, it didn't effect breastfeeding but I had many other issues with it. 

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:41 PM
Ive used depo before and it messed with my fertility, dont like the idea kf an implant and cant take pills due to being allergic to an ingredient.

Quoting bebcarroll: I used Mirena after my second. It went in when he was 12 weeks old, by 16 weeks old I had to supplement with formula, my supply was so low. I also had not stop spotting, I gained 70 lbs, I had no sex drive, I could feel the strings constantly and the last straw??? I got pregnant anyway! Now, I will say, I was actually able to carry that pregnancy to term, but since the Mirena was in when I got pregnant (the doc was able to remove it, it was on its way out anyway)the doc suspectsvthat is why my placenta attached in the wrong way and I ended up with placental abruption. I had my tubes tied.

I would see about depo or nor plant or one of the other long term ones.

Oh, and that baby? Best thing that ever happened.
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 23, 2016 at 12:00 AM

If you had problems with depo, Mirena may not be a good choice, because it contains the same progestin. Just a different delivery system.

We usually recommend testing progestin birth control with the mini-pill first, to see if you react to that med. Then move on to Depo or Norplant or Mirena, which are all different versions of the same progestin.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Mar. 23, 2016 at 12:12 AM
What Gina said!^^^
Bookoholic
by Member on Mar. 23, 2016 at 12:24 AM
Congrats on the baby, I'm also in the NICU. My baby was born 6 weeks early, we are breastfeeding just slowly. I have no idea on the IUD as I just got the one you didn't like. But I'm also minutes on BC. Hope you have a good night.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)