Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long for dairy protien...

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:07 AM
  • 34 Replies
How long does it take for dairy protien to be out of babies system and no longer cause problems. I know it can take up to a month for it to be out of mine, but once it's out of my system/milk, how long, then, does it take to leave babies system?

My son is 5.4 weeks today and still cryino basically nonstop all day, still eating hourly or more, even with the ties revised. He is slowly learning latch. I kept seeing a regression in it, but now I'm seeing improvement every day. I was hoping the ties were the cause for everything. But it seems it is not. The ibclc weighs him repeatedly when she's here, and every feeding he gets .5-1 ounce. And even after taking in 2.5 ounces, he still is wanting to nurse an hour later (after the beginning of the last feed), and still crying. Ds also, since saturday, is not sleeping during the day anymore. Maybe 5-10 minutes every few hours. Just crying.
So I know it's time for me to mommy up and cut out dairy (though, I know that still may not end the hour feedings, because of growth spurts and such). However... I need a break from nursing. I'm completely touched out already, especially after these last couple days I have been holding him nonstop trying to calm him and get him to sleep (he is sleeping fine at night though. 4 hr stretch, and then two 2-3 hour stretches, and then we're up for the day).
I'm thinking about pumping for a few days, and buying the formula that is dairy protien/soy free (augmentum or something like that, I think?). But wondering if a few days would be enough to also tell me if it is a dairy protien allergy causing his constant crying or not. Or if, since I only plan on not nursing for 2-3 days, if it's pointless to get the formula, and just continue giving him my milk. (I plan on no dairy starting today, whether I do formula or not).
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM
Have you eliminated dairy from your diet yet? Why do you suspect a dairy allergy?
bananas2u
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM
No I have not eliminated it yet.
From the constant crying. If he's not nursing or sleeping (which again, he isn't sleeping during the day anymore) he is crying. He starts crying a couple minutes after letting go of the boob, and doesn't stop until he's ready to nurse again (I'm not even wearing a shirt anymore, I just have him on my at my boobs, offering it constantly, because of the constant crying).

I know he doesn't have the body rash, or blood in his poop, or anything. But something has to be bothering him. Even when he falls asleep on me, he wakes up 5-10 minutes later screaming and crying.

Gripe water helped him for a couple days, but that's not helping anymore now. Dairy and chocolate are the only things I eat daily. Everything else is just very random.

I know babies cry a lot, but they don't cry nonstop for hours, unless something is bothering them.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Have you eliminated dairy from your diet yet? Why do you suspect a dairy allergy?
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:06 PM
I went back and read your other post, and I really hate to keep blathering on about ties, but did your provider cut the posterior part of the tie? Was lip tie ruled out? Babies with lip ties can't open their mouths wide enough and they can't maintain a seal.

Alimentum is the formula you're thinking of. I don't know much about it except that it's extremely expensive.

Does your pediatrician have an opinion on the nonstop screaming? Usually dairy/soy sensitivity/allergy babies present with a laundry list of symptoms. And screaming is often low on the list. I'm wondering about scoping for acid reflux? But you're on the cusp of the other awful growth spurt, in fact you might be caught still in a gigantic one that never ended before. I think the next 2 weeks will either settle down or reveal more clues.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:13 PM
My son has a dairy allergy. His screaming was not even why I suspected. It was the blood in stools, rash all over his body, etc. sounds like ties and overactive letdown. Does he get bottles?

Quoting bananas2u: No I have not eliminated it yet.
From the constant crying. If he's not nursing or sleeping (which again, he isn't sleeping during the day anymore) he is crying. He starts crying a couple minutes after letting go of the boob, and doesn't stop until he's ready to nurse again (I'm not even wearing a shirt anymore, I just have him on my at my boobs, offering it constantly, because of the constant crying).

I know he doesn't have the body rash, or blood in his poop, or anything. But something has to be bothering him. Even when he falls asleep on me, he wakes up 5-10 minutes later screaming and crying.

Gripe water helped him for a couple days, but that's not helping anymore now. Dairy and chocolate are the only things I eat daily. Everything else is just very random.

I know babies cry a lot, but they don't cry nonstop for hours, unless something is bothering them.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Have you eliminated dairy from your diet yet? Why do you suspect a dairy allergy?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:33 PM
I, too, am wondering if the ties have been properly assessed. They are just about the most common problem we see with the symptoms you're describing.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:36 PM
Any formula will be harder to digest. What is his diaper count like? Have you had chiropractic adjustment and myofacial release therapy for him?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:37 PM
I would be inclined to get a pediatric GI referral for a scope. Sometimes it really is reflux
melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:42 PM
Milk takes 2-3 weeks to get out of your system and then another 2-3 weeks for baby so total 4-6 weeks.
bananas2u
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:42 PM
Yes, we went to a preferred E.N.T. for a second opinion on the ties, and got his lip tie revised and his posterior tongue tie revised. My ibclc says the tongue could probably be cut more, we go back for a follow up on the 29th, and I will be discussing that with him.

The pediatrician suggested cutting out dairy, as well as the ibclc.

The chiropractor says he has a bad gag reflux on the left side and told me what exercises to do to help with that. I do them and don't notice any gagging at all, but he gagged when she did it.

I've read that some babies just have a long growth spurt for 4-6 weeks, rather than them being seperate periods of times.

I'm hoping in a couples weeks, all will be better. But I need a break now with the nursing. I absolutely hate breastfeeding. Hated it with my first too. And with him eating so often, its even worse this time, compaired to my first who ate every 3 hours, growth purt or not.
And I thought of using the formula for my break as a "quick" way to see if there is something in my diet bothering him, but I don't know if the foods will leave his system that quickly.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I went back and read your other post, and I really hate to keep blathering on about ties, but did your provider cut the posterior part of the tie? Was lip tie ruled out? Babies with lip ties can't open their mouths wide enough and they can't maintain a seal.

Alimentum is the formula you're thinking of. I don't know much about it except that it's extremely expensive.

Does your pediatrician have an opinion on the nonstop screaming? Usually dairy/soy sensitivity/allergy babies present with a laundry list of symptoms. And screaming is often low on the list. I'm wondering about scoping for acid reflux? But you're on the cusp of the other awful growth spurt, in fact you might be caught still in a gigantic one that never ended before. I think the next 2 weeks will either settle down or reveal more clues.
bananas2u
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:44 PM
Not usually. He's had a couple, doesn't change anything though in his behavior.

Quoting Mom2Just1: My son has a dairy allergy. His screaming was not even why I suspected. It was the blood in stools, rash all over his body, etc. sounds like ties and overactive letdown. Does he get bottles?

Quoting bananas2u: No I have not eliminated it yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)