Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaccine through breastmilk?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:47 AM
  • 6 Replies
So I was reading some comments on am article (that I didn't read) on facebook. And someone said she took the HEP vaccine herself because she breastfed and so her baby would get the protection of the vaccine through her breastmilk, and not have to get the vaccine himself.

Is that really true? I never heard such a thing. And if it is true, is it just while your breastfeeding or does it continue through their lives like the vaccine would do?
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it works that way at all.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:54 AM

I am pretty sure that is just speculation and there are no actual studies.

Personally, from my own experience, I highly doubt it.  My infant caught pertussis, something I was vaccinated for and clearly got NO benefits from the breastmilk (as far as preventing pertussis)

bananas2u
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:58 AM
Awww. 😕

Yeah, everyone was was replying to her comment telling her she was wrong, and she said the top doctor told her and she did her research. I never specifically researched that, but in my research of vaccines I never came across that.

Quoting micheledo:

I am pretty sure that is just speculation and there are no actual studies.

Personally, from my own experience, I highly doubt it.  My infant caught pertussis, something I was vaccinated for and clearly got NO benefits from the breastmilk (as far as preventing pertussis)

AutasticMomx2
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:29 AM
4 moms liked this
Sometimes a small amount of immunity might be passed through bm, but it is unlikely that it would be sufficient. I do not plan to vaccinate my new baby until we wean. Mainly because some new research shows that bm has such high immunity itself that it actually interferes with the vaccines effectiveness. And I want babies immune system to be stronger before being exposed to vaccines. That is what I've gleaned from almost 5 years of hard core vaccine research. We stopped vaccinating my son due to mild but consistent reactions. ( he develops pneumonia every single time which is rare but possible).
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
True immunity gained from actually getting the wild forms of viruses can be passed through breastmilk but only offers temporary immunity. Vaccine induced immunity is a whole other story, it's not the same thing at all and as far as I've read in all my research, there doesn't seem to be any real evidence that this kind of immunity is passed through breastmilk at all. It's all just speculation. Doctors also like to tell you that getting the Tdap while in your 3rd trimester will protect your baby when again it's just speculation. No real studies have ever been done on the effects of vaccinating during pregnancy, but in animal studies Tdap has been shown to cause fetal harm.
bananas2u
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
That makes sense about the vaccines and breastmilk.

I actually haven't been offered the Tdap while pregnant. Only after giving birth. 2 babies, but 3 different OBS (2 in the 3rd trimester of my forst, 1 in the 3rd trimester for my second). I can't have it anyways because I am allergic to latex, and for some reason, you can't get that with a latex allergy. But, I don't think I'd get a vaccine while pregnant anyways. I take as little medicine as possible while pregnant, and again while breastfeeding.

Quoting cabrandy03: True immunity gained from actually getting the wild forms of viruses can be passed through breastmilk but only offers temporary immunity. Vaccine induced immunity is a whole other story, it's not the same thing at all and as far as I've read in all my research, there doesn't seem to be any real evidence that this kind of immunity is passed through breastmilk at all. It's all just speculation. Doctors also like to tell you that getting the Tdap while in your 3rd trimester will protect your baby when again it's just speculation. No real studies have ever been done on the effects of vaccinating during pregnancy, but in animal studies Tdap has been shown to cause fetal harm.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)