Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

storage question

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:06 PM
  • 17 Replies
Are the Medela or Lansinoh bags really necessary for storing breast milk longterm? Say 2900 Oz each Oz stored for at least 6 months in a deep freezer upright. Or is there a cheaper option?
And do I need a bottle warmer if I'm going to feed thawed bm?

The goal is to ebf for 6 months and pump a few times a day and hopefully make close to 2900 Oz of milk to get us to 10 months total of bm.
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:39 PM
Other options are ice cube trays. Each cube is around an oz then store in freezer bags.
I have never had a bottle warmer.
Is that here a reason you are planning on only nursing 6 months then frozen till 10 months and formula until a year?
AutasticMomx2
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:46 PM

because i hate breastfeeding and have a lot of issues with it and telling myself that i only have to do it for 6 months is the only way i'm able to make myself consider it at all. Also, dh isn't exactly found of milky boobs and such and since our sex life already sucks pregnant, i want to get back to normal sooner rather than later. 

Ice cube trays sound like a super good idea! thanks. I feel like that's way cheaper than the bags. 

Quoting shortyali: Other options are ice cube trays. Each cube is around an oz then store in freezer bags. I have never had a bottle warmer. Is that here a reason you are planning on only nursing 6 months then frozen till 10 months and formula until a year?

shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:03 PM
No worries, I wasn't judging. Just curious:)

I have seen ice cube trays that come with lids and were labeled in ozs but I can't remember where and it was over 2 years ago so I am not sure where to even look.

Quoting AutasticMomx2:

because i hate breastfeeding and have a lot of issues with it and telling myself that i only have to do it for 6 months is the only way i'm able to make myself consider it at all. Also, dh isn't exactly found of milky boobs and such and since our sex life already sucks pregnant, i want to get back to normal sooner rather than later. 

Ice cube trays sound like a super good idea! thanks. I feel like that's way cheaper than the bags. 

Quoting shortyali: Other options are ice cube trays. Each cube is around an oz then store in freezer bags.
I have never had a bottle warmer.
Is that here a reason you are planning on only nursing 6 months then frozen till 10 months and formula until a year?

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:07 PM
You are describing an exhausting plan, to full time bf and pump *that much* to get you to 10 months; you'll basically be breastfeeding twins. I admire you for trying to do that. I hate pumping and wouldn't do it unless it was an emergency. A lot of moms do the ice cube trays like described above.
AutasticMomx2
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:29 PM

i love pumping and i was able to get a ton in one sitting with my son, so i don't anticipate needing to pump more than once or twice a day to accomplish that. i love pumping and hate bf lol, so for me it's not the sacrifice that many people feel it is. i admire women who enjoy bf and can do it for long periods of time

Quoting mostlymaydays: You are describing an exhausting plan, to full time bf and pump *that much* to get you to 10 months; you'll basically be breastfeeding twins. I admire you for trying to do that. I hate pumping and wouldn't do it unless it was an emergency. A lot of moms do the ice cube trays like described above.

AutasticMomx2
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:30 PM

i had ones for regular ice with lids and within a month they broke off because the plastic froze and thawed too often. i'll just do regular with some foil over it lol

Quoting shortyali: No worries, I wasn't judging. Just curious:) I have seen ice cube trays that come with lids and were labeled in ozs but I can't remember where and it was over 2 years ago so I am not sure where to even look.
Quoting AutasticMomx2:

Quoting shortyali: Other options are ice cube trays. Each cube is around an oz then store in freezer bags. I have never had a bottle warmer. Is that here a reason you are planning on only nursing 6 months then frozen till 10 months and formula until a year?

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:46 PM
I don't think so. I stored directly in bottles, but I didn't need to store as much as you will. I second the ice cube trays, then you can just put the cubes in ziplocs 2,3 or 4 at a time. The Medela or Lansinoh bags store flatter, which would be an advantage with needing to store so much.
AutasticMomx2
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I think I'm going to try for a little of both. If I truly needed too I could empty my other deep freezer too. I just don't want to lol. If I plant I plan to feed several bottles in one day, is it OK to freeze a full bag instead of just 2 Oz in each bag?

Quoting MusherMaggie: I don't think so. I stored directly in bottles, but I didn't need to store as much as you will. I second the ice cube trays, then you can just put the cubes in ziplocs 2,3 or 4 at a time. The Medela or Lansinoh bags store flatter, which would be an advantage with needing to store so much.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:09 PM
Quoting AutasticMomx2: I think I'm going to try for a little of both. If I truly needed too I could empty my other deep freezer too. I just don't want to lol. If I plant I plan to feed several bottles in one day, is it OK to freeze a full bag instead of just 2 Oz in each bag?

Quoting MusherMaggie: I don't think so. I stored directly in bottles, but I didn't need to store as much as you will. I second the ice cube trays, then you can just put the cubes in ziplocs 2,3 or 4 at a time. The Medela or Lansinoh bags store flatter, which would be an advantage with needing to store so much.

I wouldn't go over three or four at a time. A bottle warmer isn't necessary, either, particularly if you're not freezing in bottles. You just thaw the bag in warm water and pour it into a bottle or sippy cup with the spill-proof valve removed. Frozen breastmilk cubes in a mesh feeder are great for teething.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

AutasticMomx2
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:09 PM
Good ideas. Thanks!!

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting AutasticMomx2: I think I'm going to try for a little of both. If I truly needed too I could empty my other deep freezer too. I just don't want to lol. If I plant I plan to feed several bottles in one day, is it OK to freeze a full bag instead of just 2 Oz in each bag?

I wouldn't go over three or four at a time. A bottle warmer isn't necessary, either, particularly if you're not freezing in bottles. You just thaw the bag in warm water and pour it into a bottle or sippy cup with the spill-proof valve removed. Frozen breastmilk cubes in a mesh feeder are great for teething.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)