• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IBCLC Visit

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:04 PM
  • 15 Replies
I decided it would be worthwhile to go see an IBCLC about my 5 (nearly 6!) week old's tummy issues. I posted a few days ago about the pedi thinking it might be a dairy sensitivity.

She weighed him before and after a feeding from one breast. He had eaten a little over 3oz!! It was a different scale, but he weighed 11lbs, 13oz Tuesday and weighed in at 12lbs 1oz today. She referred me to kellymom and recommended block feeding, which I had already started. I didn't understand part of what she was saying about a possible fore and hind milk imbalance. She said there's something about it on the site, so I'll read up.

She also suggested I give him a probiotic. Thoughts on that? I give Just D and would give him acetaminophen if needed (I'd get a prescription for flavor & dye free from a compounding pharmacy). The pharmacy has Gerber Soothe which has lactobacillus, sunflower oil, medium chain triglyceride oil and sodium dioxide in it. So at least no artificial flavors or dye. I'd prefer to preserve his virgin gut, but also don't want him hurting if it's avoidable. Thanks!

Edit: She also suggested I go ahead and eat dairy free. She doesn't think that's the issue, but recommended it since dairy takes so long to get out of your system completely. If he were to actually have a dairy issue we'll be closer to resolving it.
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
The only probiotics in would give are the capsules. You can open it up, take the powder straight from.it, make a paste with some breastmilk and let her sick your finger. You can ask dab some on your nipple before nursing. Check out dr. Sears website, he gives info on how to give an enfant probiotics.

My suggestions also is to have baby nurse on side until she is done, and the switch sides. That may help with the formula hindmilk imbalance she is referring to. Also reclined nursing should help.

Another suggestion is visiting a chiropractor that works on enfants
ramtbirn
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this
I take my son (7 weeks old) to a chiropractor - makes a huge difference in his latch and digestion.
Georgie2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:45 PM
Thank you. I hadn't thought about using capsules. I've looked and can't find dosage info, etc on Dr Sears, but I'll keep looking.

So you would switch sides and NOT block feed to try to regulate supply? I'm recline feeding or otherwise positioning him above my nipple to try to get gravity working for us. The recline position feels a little awkward and he doesn't latch as well.

Quoting Precious333: The only probiotics in would give are the capsules. You can open it up, take the powder straight from.it, make a paste with some breastmilk and let her sick your finger. You can ask dab some on your nipple before nursing. Check out dr. Sears website, he gives info on how to give an enfant probiotics.

My suggestions also is to have baby nurse on side until she is done, and the switch sides. That may help with the formula hindmilk imbalance she is referring to. Also reclined nursing should help.

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
The D drops are already introducing things to his virgin gut, so another supplement like probiotics wouldn't be changing anything. They'd probably even be beneficial
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Apr. 9, 2016 at 1:22 AM
Probiotics shouldn't mess with the Virgin gut

Quoting PoodleMum: The D drops are already introducing things to his virgin gut, so another supplement like probiotics wouldn't be changing anything. They'd probably even be beneficial
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Apr. 9, 2016 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this
You can block feed to help. Some will block feed for half a day, or per feeding or however they need :)

If you go to health food store like whole foods or sprouts, you should be able to find some probiotics. I get one brand, I forget it's name, but I think it starts with a J and is in a white bottle with a yellow label in the refrigerator section, but you can always ask around, and I just give a small pinch.

Quoting Georgie2: Thank you. I hadn't thought about using capsules. I've looked and can't find dosage info, etc on Dr Sears, but I'll keep looking.

So you would switch sides and NOT block feed to try to regulate supply? I'm recline feeding or otherwise positioning him above my nipple to try to get gravity working for us. The recline position feels a little awkward and he doesn't latch as well.

Quoting Precious333: The only probiotics in would give are the capsules. You can open it up, take the powder straight from.it, make a paste with some breastmilk and let her sick your finger. You can ask dab some on your nipple before nursing. Check out dr. Sears website, he gives info on how to give an enfant probiotics.

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Many have fillers, such as rice. So reading the labels and picking a high quality probiotic is your best bet. Or just take them yourself :)

Quoting Precious333: Probiotics shouldn't mess with the Virgin gut

Quoting PoodleMum: The D drops are already introducing things to his virgin gut, so another supplement like probiotics wouldn't be changing anything. They'd probably even be beneficial
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Georgie2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 5:54 AM
I read on Dr Sears about the taking them yourself... Which I already am. So now I'm questioning if they'll help. I'm still going to give it a try. I'm a label reader & will watch for fillers!

Quoting PoodleMum: Many have fillers, such as rice. So reading the labels and picking a high quality probiotic is your best bet. Or just take them yourself :)

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 10:55 AM
GutPro and Klairelabs (both have infant versions) are the most recommended in my groups, but very pricey. It definitely can't hurt! I need to try finding something for my three year old again, it's been really helping me lately (I take Culturelle, but it doesn't agree with her)

Quoting Georgie2: I read on Dr Sears about the taking them yourself... Which I already am. So now I'm questioning if they'll help. I'm still going to give it a try. I'm a label reader & will watch for fillers!

Quoting PoodleMum: Many have fillers, such as rice. So reading the labels and picking a high quality probiotic is your best bet. Or just take them yourself :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 9, 2016 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't recommend block feeding until it is determined definitively by a knowledgeable provider that he doesn't have ties. When I say knowledgeable, I mean someone who is knowledgeable about posterior tongue tie and upper lip ties and their effects on breastfeeding.
If there is a tie(s), block feeding can reduce the supply too much to where the baby can't remove enough milk due to the restriction and the supply can be reduced even more.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)