Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here and new to breast feeding

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:48 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am sorry for the long read.......

I had my little boy on Feburary 22nd he was a week over due.  During the last few months I told my midwife I have never breast fed and needed as much advice as I could get. I planned on feeding on demand as I've heard that was best with breast fed babies. 24 hours after Jason was born my midwife came to check me and Jason out. I explained to her that I was concerned because he was only eating about 5-6 hours if I was lucky. I would try to nurse him and he refused to open his mouth. She said that was normal and fine. I even questioned her about when I formula fed my two oldest they would eat every two hours. She explained what my son Jason was doing was okay and normal. On day 4 he had one wet diaper and that was only in the morning. Again I though this was normal. Day 5 went all day with no wet diapers, no poop diapers! I noticed his eyes were turning yellow! I got scared and contacted her back, along with a few other people. He was severly dehydrated! So I had to give him a bottle. In no time he was having wet diapers and pooping. He became more alert and aware of his suroundings. I did this for a few days then went back to exlusivly breast feeding.

This brings us to now. He is now almost 7 weeks old. First he started to get cranky on the left breast. He would eat for a little while then start crying. I would move him to my right then. He would be fine. Then the following week he did it with both. So I would then offer him a bottle because he refused to eat from me. At night he would not have any issues at all. Now I am back at work and trying to pump to supply him with enough milk while I am away. The first two days I was able to get almost 14oz. Now today so far I was only able to get 8oz. He was 9lbs when he was born and he eats A LOT!! He will eat 7oz at a time! As soon as my milk slows down he will refuse to eat from that breast. I am very worried I wont be able to up my supply for him and breast feeding will be short lived. How can I up my milk supply with pumping and have enough for his needs? He has been supplemented with formula when my MIL runs out of breast milk. I still feed him through the night, morning before I go to work and while sleeping. I've also started taking Fungreek pills (just realized today I should take more than one a day)

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
He only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. For an 8 hour day, that would be 10 ounces maximum. For nine hours, a maximum of 11.25 ounces. Paced bottlefeeding procedure should be use: slowest flow newborn nipple always, baby held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows his brain to register that his tummy is full and prevents overfeeding, preserving your supply. Seven ounces at a time is way too much.

Was he checked for lip and tongue ties? Ties can affect nursing but are easily diagnosed and corrected by the properly trained pediatric dentist or ENT. This is an area where pediatricians are not well-informed; the information was removed from medical school curriculum in the 50's or 60's.

Read posts here and on Kellymom.com. Two books : " So That's What They're For " by Janet Tamaro and " The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding " from La Leche League. Go to LLLI.org and see if there is a group that meets near you. Google " Find an IBCLC " ( Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant ). This is your go-to breastfeeding professional. Anyone can call herself an " LC ". An IBCLC has the most complete training, with hundreds of hours of study and practice.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:08 PM
Drop the formula. Look up " Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby " on Kellymom.com and print off a copy of the article for your mother-in-law. She must follow this--it is imperative! This weekend, take him to bed with you and nurse at every wiggle. Nurse on one side until he comes off on his own, burp and offer the other side. Repeat until he won't take any more. When nursing from the breast, do not time feedings or the intervals in between.

Pump every morning, working or not, before, during or after the first morning feeding. Pump every 3 hours while away from him, every two hours if you can if you need to bring your supply up. Be sure the membranes on your pump are intact.

If he is going through 6-8 diapers every 24 hours with soft profuse poop when it happens, all is well.

Remember, and remind your mother-in-law, that fussiness does not always mean hunger. She will need to look for other ways to soothe him besides feeding.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Georgie2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:30 PM
I pumped until one year for my son who was 10lbs 2oz at birth. You really have to follow the 1-1.25 oz for every hour and paced bottle feeding regardless of his size. He will be getting plenty. It is NOT like formula where they need more the older they get to meet their needs. The make-up of breast milk changes and the amount they eat remains the same. My boy was always (and still is) in the 80-90's percentile, mostly 96+. Just because a baby is bigger does not mean their stomach is.

Bigger bottles stretch his stomach, which sets you up for failure. Keep in mind that normal output is .5-2 oz from both breasts combined for each pumping session. When mine was in daycare I made his bottles at home and only sent what he needed for the day. I NEVER sent extra. It's harder in some ways with a family member watching your baby, but you have to toss your Mom's formula and give her a printed copy of directions for paced bottle feeding.

My other piece of advice is to try to relax and not watch the amount going into the bottle while pumping. Look at pics of your baby, surf CM, Facebook or baby sites instead. A piece of clothing or blanket that smells like him can also help.
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 9, 2016 at 9:02 AM
He's being hugely overfed!
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 9, 2016 at 12:14 PM
I completely agree with them!^^^
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 9, 2016 at 12:23 PM
This is from one of the links from kellymom: "Current breastfeeding research does not indicate that breastmilk intake changes with baby’s age or weight between one and six months. After six months, breastmilk intake will continue at this same level until — sometime after six months, depending in baby’s intake from other foods — baby’s milk intake begins to decrease gradually... The research tells us that exclusively breastfed babies take in an average of 25 oz (750 mL) per day between the ages of 1 month and 6 months. Different babies take in different amounts of milk; a typical range of milk intakes is 19-30 oz per day (570-900 mL per day)."
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)