Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sugar!!

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:40 AM
  • 11 Replies
I had forgotten just how much I craved sugar after I had my 2nd son. These cravings are crazy!!! I'm trying to be good and satisfy them with fruit for the most part, but still. I typically drink water 99% of the time. Now I'm drinking fruit slushes, limeades or soda every chance I get. Thankfully we don't keep much in the house in the way of processed sweets because I would eat it ALL!!! I'll be really glad when this passes... But don't remember how long that was before?
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:22 AM
Um...idk. DD will be 8 months this week and I still crave sugar like crazy. I just attributed it to being addicted to sugar though. I'm trying to cut back too.
Lynette
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:24 AM
During pregnancy my midwife told me that cravings for sugar are actually cravings for protein.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:00 AM
Take a look at your diet. Add some good fats, such as coconut oil, avocado, and nuts. Also, be sure you're getting enough protein.
AutasticMomx2
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 7:34 AM
I agree with looking at what's missing from your diet. I eat organic guacomole everyday to avoid my major sugar cravings. It's the lack of fat. It can also be lack of protein.
RainbowEater
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 7:42 AM
The whole sugar is bad is a complete misconception. Every cell in our body runs on glucose. It feeds our brains and gives us energy. Cut out processed sugar for sure but don't limit fruits. Snack on dates, figs, and other dried fruit. Drink fruit smoothies and add some kale. You could use the extra calories from nursing
bananas2u
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:04 AM
I crave chocolate. I have a need to eat chocolate after every meal or i don't feel satisfied.
I was like that with my first as well, and it lasted until a week or so after we weaned (at 11 months). I'm hoping it doesn't last that long this time!
Georgie2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:24 AM
Huh. I hadn't thought of it being a sign something else is missing. I'd like to think we generally eat pretty well- whole foods, good fats and lean protein- BUT I've been grabbing convenience foods a lot more since having the baby. Anything to get dinner on the table after chasing a toddler, taking care of the baby and trying to keep the house from becoming a complete pig sty LOL!! And I'm guilty of not putting together a meal for myself for lunch.😕 I'll bump up the good fats and protein to see if it helps. Thanks!!
Georgie2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:33 AM
I agree not all sugar is bad. The four members of my family old enough to eat go through a big bag of apples, a bag of citrus, either a large package of berries or 3 lbs of grapes plus one bunch of bananas every week. Just craving it to this extent is different for me and I want something constantly versus once or twice a day. And although I try to satisfy it with fruit what I really WANT is chocolate, ice cream, cookies and candy!! I'm normally much more into savory than sweet. I'll try adding kale to my smoothies. That's a good idea! Thanks!!

Quoting RainbowEater: The whole sugar is bad is a complete misconception. Every cell in our body runs on glucose. It feeds our brains and gives us energy. Cut out processed sugar for sure but don't limit fruits. Snack on dates, figs, and other dried fruit. Drink fruit smoothies and add some kale. You could use the extra calories from nursing
Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I had that craving bad with my third i had gotten checked to make sure i didnt have a deficiency bc it was so bad and turned out i didnt to my surprise ! What helped me was drinking a whole glass of water when i craved it then waited 15 mins and if i still felt that way i would eat fruit and yogurt and it helped me subside the craving!
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:24 AM
My sugar cravings hit when I need to up my fat intake. Shoot for two "thumb size" servings of healthy fat (olives, nuts, but butters) 3x a day plus an extra as a snack.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)