Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thoroughly pissed at Cracker Barrel

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:51 PM
  • 15 Replies

I took our dd6 there and ordered from a printed off dairy allergen menu. Our sweet 6 mo old baby has a severe dairy intolerance. I am thoroughly pissed that the roast beef and gravy that I ordered has lactic acid in it-I found out the ingredients list after emailing customer service. I also ordered carrots (which were on the dairy free menu) & the customer service dept is ignoring my questions on whether that was also put on the dairy free menu in error. WTH I was assurred that there was no dairy in these items-I even told our waitress that I would rather not order anything if there is a question about it-that dairy will hurt my baby since I am nursing. Max is back to taking probiotics & I am appalled that they really could give a crap/not have precautions in place-Grr! My poor little guy just turned 6 mos yesterday & he does not deserve the pain-he had mucous in his stool the next day ;(

Has anyone else experienced this or am I just special?

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
browncoat
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Lactic acid is not dairy. It's a compound muscles create when they are used strenuously- when your legs burn while running, it's from lactic acid. It has nothing to do with cows.
Greenbird15
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:02 PM

I found this info:

So what should a dairy sensitive person do about lactic acid or lactic bacteria when they see it on label? What they need to know is on what substrate it was cultured. However, it is unlikely that even the manufacturer will know (lactic acid bacteria are just an ingredient which they buy in) although the more allergen aware manufacturers are starting to realise that this kind of information may be important for their hard core customers.

So, as always, a hyper-sensitive person should avoid it – just in case. As of now, lactic acid bacteria is usually cultured on a grain base, but this is not always the case and dairy (eg lactose) could have been used. Hopefully, with greater awareness, will come more information so that allergy sufferers can make that much-to-be-wished-for 'informed choice'.
Quoting browncoat: Lactic acid is not dairy. It's a compound muscles create when they are used strenuously- when your legs burn while running, it's from lactic acid. It has nothing to do with cows.

Greenbird15
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM

I would not have ordered the darn roast beef if they had an ingredients list on the menu & am still wondering if the carrots had dairy in it as well..

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:57 PM
Wow, sounds like your kiddo is especially sensitive. I can't imagine how hard it is to go out to eat. :-( Cracker Barrel is probably rough because everything has gravy and sauces and butter.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:21 PM
My son has a dairy and soy allergy. Cracker Barrel has never been on the safe list for places we can eat.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:22 PM
My son as well. He can't have dairy touch his food. If you touch something with dairy and then his food... He can't eat that food.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Wow, sounds like your kiddo is especially sensitive. I can't imagine how hard it is to go out to eat. :-( Cracker Barrel is probably rough because everything has gravy and sauces and butter.
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:27 PM
Same for us
Cracker Barrel is always listed as don't go as there's nothing ok

Quoting Mom2Just1: My son has a dairy and soy allergy. Cracker Barrel has never been on the safe list for places we can eat.
Greenbird15
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Yeah the only other place I went out to eat at was Colonial-months ago-they had protocols in place where the manager had to put the order in with the kitchen. I was def exposed to dairy at Cracker Barrel my little guy's poo still has mucous in it & I know the darn dairy will be with me for the next month. 

Quoting mostlymaydays: Wow, sounds like your kiddo is especially sensitive. I can't imagine how hard it is to go out to eat. :-( Cracker Barrel is probably rough because everything has gravy and sauces and butter.

Greenbird15
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Poor little guy! I am sure if they cared to strive for foodsafety they could be safe but it appears that they just don't care! Where do you like to go out to eat at with him? Maybe there is hope for me to eat out again? Because really I would just rather stay home than to let this happen again!

Quoting Mom2Just1: My son has a dairy and soy allergy. Cracker Barrel has never been on the safe list for places we can eat.

Greenbird15
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 4:25 PM

I'm sorry to hear that! Where do you like to go?-looking for ideas since it won't be long before Max can eat at the table & it would be nice to bring him out to a restaurant in the future.

Quoting melindabelcher: Same for us Cracker Barrel is always listed as don't go as there's nothing ok

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)