Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this a nursing strike? should I push through?

Posted by on May. 30, 2016 at 8:07 PM
  • 9 Replies

My last baby (4th born) I nursed multiple times til she was 1.. then she just put the breaks on, and nursed only once in the afternoon. By 13 mo, she just refused it. I tried to offer it multple times, but she just piddled around, and jumped off my lap to go play. I was sad.. she was my first successful EBF baby.. and just like that it was over.

Fast forward to my 5th born.. we've conqured a multitude of b'feeding issues. But SAME thing is happening! The day he turned one (and same week started walking), he has no interest in nursing. I've tried before sleep, after sleep, etc. Usually he ALWAYS nurses happily before bedtime.. tonight, he gave me 4 piddle nibbles (not even sucks) and played wiht my hair for 20 min until he pointed to the light (what he does every night when he knows it's night night time). I laid him down, and he was out.. no nursing!

He's been doing this for a few days now, and honestly- the continual depressing nursing sessions are wearing me down. Maybe I shuld just stop... he seems more than happy. It's ME who's sad! He's very likely to be our last baby.

I don't get too.. that he was doing 6-7 nursing sessions just 2 weeks ago, and now I'm lucky to get 2-3.

Does this sound like a strike? or.. just something my kids do at 1 yr? Anything I can do to encourage it?

I'm guessing at this point, I'll pump when he normally nurses (if he doens't nurse when I offer). Do that 1-2 weeks, if he's still not wanting anything.. I'll just bow out gracefully and cryyyyy ;(

http://lbff.lilypie.com/C6avm4.png

by on May. 30, 2016 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2016 at 1:32 AM
I would keep offering for a while. It's rare for babies to wean that early, but it does hsppen. Sometimes it has to do with how many solids they're getting, or teething, or developmental milestones keeping them busy. Sometimes there's no reason.
Travelbugg
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2016 at 2:20 PM
Awww... I feel for ya mama!! My first went on strike early and I never got him back. His was a true strike though where he went from nursing several times a day to nothing. It was awful for me....but he was ok!!! The positive is that HE initiated. You never denied him...id say give it another week of offering and make the call.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on May. 31, 2016 at 5:41 PM
It is very common for babies to get too busy with their ever expanding world and new milestones to nurse. They usually go back to newborn like frequency to reconnect after this.
Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2016 at 9:16 PM
Keep offering and pump for him and use a sippy he might be weaning *sigh*
hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2016 at 7:31 AM

thanks mommas. Like one of you said.. he went from nursing 6-7x to barely getting 3!

Normally I just nurse him after all sleep periods (so 4x) sometimes before a nap... yesterday, I decided, he just plain is to ready to go play. So yesterday, I did offer after naps, but then I just offered it an hour later, and he was half ok with that. So we managed to get 5 nursings in anyway haha He still seems very ok with just goooooing though

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2016 at 9:10 AM
Five sessions is great!
hoping4number3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2016 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Just an update-

it was his TOOTH/walking adventure.

for almost 6 days he didn't nurse effectively. I was THAT close to just stopping. He didn't seem to care, and it was stressing me out doing the mental challenge of "quick have a letdown before he gets sidetracked!!!". And then I felt depressed when he gave up and no nursing :(

I started offering nursing when he was his most fussiest ... smack dab between naps.. too awake to go to sleep, too bored with walking :p

lastnight before bed, he cozied into my arms, nursed... and nursed... and nursed (while I sniffled!). He nursed a good 20 minutes before dozing off. ahhhh :) this morning, nursed and nursed some more. Every "usual session" was just like it use to be.

I'm over the moon happy :) got my nursling back when I was THAT close to giving up!

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2016 at 9:19 PM
Awesome!
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jun. 3, 2016 at 1:00 AM
That's exactly what I was expecting! I'm glad that he has gone back to nursing as usual again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)