Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Non producing side

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:49 AM
  • 9 Replies
It seems like my right side is not keeping up with demand. She feeds on it and after only a few minutes acts like it is empty. Even if it is the second side. When I pump it I get barely anything.
Left seems to be doing just fine.
I never had this problem with Liam.
I have been pumping it to try to get it to produce but it does t seem to help. Anything I can do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 12:37 PM
It is normal for one side to produce more than the other, and many babies show a preference for one side over the other. How old is your baby? Has this gone on all along, or is it relatively recent? Any signs of a clog on that side?
Ma2Liam
by Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 1:45 PM
The right does usually produce less but it just doesn't seem to have bumped up from her last growth spurt. She is 3 months. No clogs or anything. My left increased production with the last spurt just not my right. I am even trying to double feed that side each feeding.
Just not sure what else to do. I am taking fenugreek to see if it will help but nothing so far. I can't do oatmeal.

Quoting MusherMaggie: It is normal for one side to produce more than the other, and many babies show a preference for one side over the other. How old is your baby? Has this gone on all along, or is it relatively recent? Any signs of a clog on that side?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:44 PM
She might be fussing more on that side due to having to work a little harder for the letdown than the other side. You could try doing massage and compressions to get the milk flowing a bit more on that side for her.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:53 PM
What Amy said. I was going to suggest that next. The other thing that that came to mind was that teething pain could be starting.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 9:14 PM
Could also be in need of a chiro adjustment for neck tenderness/tightness on that side or even sinus pressure when laying on that side.

Quoting aehanrahan: She might be fussing more on that side due to having to work a little harder for the letdown than the other side. You could try doing massage and compressions to get the milk flowing a bit more on that side for her.
Ma2Liam
by Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:44 PM
I do massage it a bit, and I can see the fussiness from impatience (that's how she is.) The right tends to be a fast starter fast finisher while the left is a slow starter and lasts longer with more milk.

*Kind of weird the intimate knowledge we get about our breasts and milk production*

I will try massaging more and just offer that breast more.

Quoting aehanrahan: She might be fussing more on that side due to having to work a little harder for the letdown than the other side. You could try doing massage and compressions to get the milk flowing a bit more on that side for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ma2Liam
by Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:46 PM
I almost was thinking teething the other day because she has been sooooo drooly. But adjusted age she is only 7 weeks and I wouldn't think it would be that soon.

Quoting MusherMaggie: What Amy said. I was going to suggest that next. The other thing that that came to mind was that teething pain could be starting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ma2Liam
by Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:47 PM
She does get chiro work done, but I could see the sinus stuff. She has been a little stuffy lately.

Quoting audmom1218: Could also be in need of a chiro adjustment for neck tenderness/tightness on that side or even sinus pressure when laying on that side.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 9:15 AM
Quoting Ma2Liam: I almost was thinking teething the other day because she has been sooooo drooly. But adjusted age she is only 7 weeks and I wouldn't think it would be that soon.

Quoting MusherMaggie: What Amy said. I was going to suggest that next. The other thing that that came to mind was that teething pain could be starting.

Babies can and have been born with teeth, so teething pain would not be outside the realm of possibilities. I second the chiropractic treatment.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)