Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on the twins

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:05 AM
  • 14 Replies
Update on my twins...!

Twins are 9 weeks (4.5 adjusted).

Honestly not sure when I last checked in with you all. Don't remember where I left off and I'm updating spontaneously between babies naps so not gonna check.

Anyway, we got out of the NICU on day 11. Baby A had a scary choking incident which prolonged our stay.

Once we were out, I was exclusively breastfeeding both, plus pumping - and thought things were going well. They had enough pees and poops.

The scales spoke a different story entirely. Both the home health nurse, and the doctors scale (same scales each time) clocked in that they weren't gaining. Not an ounce. They totally stalled out. I didn't give up, though. I continued for another two days, basically leaving them attached to the breast the whole two days. We went back for a weight check.

No gain. No loss. Both of the same scales said so. Like at the NICU, they were also becoming lethargic again. Lots of dry diapers.

Went to my lactation class and they did a weigh feed weigh. No gain. Consultant watched me latch and then feed and said they had a very shallow swallow. That they were comfort sucking themselves to sleep but weren't sucking in a productive way. She said I should focus on pumping more to gain a better supply because their suck probably wasn't helping me produce more.

So I did.

In a week of pumping exclusively with only latching them to the breast for comfort and to make sure they still latched correctly, we went back for weight checks. Both scales said they gained nearly a pound each (same scales).

I've continued on like this, because their suck hasn't gotten stronger. I definitely am getting them something when I nurse, they unlatch with milk in their mouths and will spit up some milk, too. But when I pump immediately after they feed - it's only less than a half ounce from what I would normally get. And if I do this all day, they fuss and cry for hunger (to which I nurse. But they fall asleep and unlatch almost immediately. Every. Single. Time. ) before the peeing stops and they quickly become lethargic again.

I'm pretty sure I also have insufficient glandular tissue. I've looked it up, and it all rings true to me. Explains the issues I had with my first, too.

My friend had a baby a month before me and has an incredible oversupply. She's been giving me her excess milk - something to the tune of 400 ounces so far. So between her milk and my roughly 18/20 ounces I can pump a day, they've been on nothing but breast milk since... Gosh. A week after we left the NICU? I believe? It's been weeks.

They go in for their two month checkup on the 20th, and I will be curious what they weigh since they haven't been weighed in weeks at this point and will almost be three months (two, adjusted).

Advice for shallow and weak swallows combined with the glandular tissue issue? I'd LOVE to exclusively breastfeed, but am proud I've persevered through all of this so far and that they get exclusively fed breastmilk. I'll continue on like this if it works and I can't get them to thrive on the breast. I just want to make sure I've tried everything.
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:50 AM
Have they been checked for lip and tongue ties?
BaltimoreBaby
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:03 AM
Yes they had them and they've been revised. That happened like... Two days after we left the NICU.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Have they been checked for lip and tongue ties?
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:06 AM
Sounds like they might have reattached.

Quoting BaltimoreBaby: Yes they had them and they've been revised. That happened like... Two days after we left the NICU.

BaltimoreBaby
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:07 AM
No, I check often and did all the stretches as they healed.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Sounds like they might have reattached.

Quoting BaltimoreBaby: Yes they had them and they've been revised. That happened like... Two days after we left the NICU.

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:37 AM
Lip tongue or both? Ds had his tongue clipped at a week old but we still struggled with gain (no bottles) for 5 weeks. He then had tongue lasered again and lip tie because he just couldn't latch on correctly and man that made a huge difference so I'm a major advocate for second opinions when it comes to ties!

Quoting BaltimoreBaby: No, I check often and did all the stretches as they healed.

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:39 AM
Your pump output and dedication rocks btw!!

Quoting audmom1218: Lip tongue or both? Ds had his tongue clipped at a week old but we still struggled with gain (no bottles) for 5 weeks. He then had tongue lasered again and lip tie because he just couldn't latch on correctly and man that made a huge difference so I'm a major advocate for second opinions when it comes to ties!

Quoting BaltimoreBaby: No, I check often and did all the stretches as they healed.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:52 AM
The poor gain, shallow latch, inefficient milk removal, and falling asleep are classic tongue tie symptoms. Was the posterior component of the tie revised? I'm kind of thinking if they recommended the stretches, you were likely to have had one of the better providers? Sorry, hate to dwell on ties but I think they're behind almost all unsuccessful breastfeeding stories. No problems sucking from the bottle? Or pacifiers?

There isn't a whole lot you can do if you have insufficient glandular tissue. Try every galactagogue ever suggested, maybe domperidone, too. Maybe find a IBCLC for help with suck training, and a recheck for ties and high palate.

Nursing twins while also pumping for twins will be hard work, and I'm seriously impressed with your dedication already. You're lucky to have your friend donating for you, too.
goatmom4
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:56 AM
Hang in there they will get itprayers
BaltimoreBaby
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:00 AM
It was both the tongue and lip on both - and it did make a difference in the depth of their latch but the actual physical suck never gained strength.

I've been told again and again it's because they came early, that the suck would get stronger as they got older - except it hasn't happened yet.

Quoting audmom1218: Lip tongue or both? Ds had his tongue clipped at a week old but we still struggled with gain (no bottles) for 5 weeks. He then had tongue lasered again and lip tie because he just couldn't latch on correctly and man that made a huge difference so I'm a major advocate for second opinions when it comes to ties!

BaltimoreBaby
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:02 AM
Thank you!

Quoting audmom1218: Your pump output and dedication rocks btw!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)