Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

12+ month nursing

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have two questions. 

1. Has anyone ever stopped nursing in public after 12 months? It is nearly impossible for me to nurse my son without showing too much since he yanks off the cover and even using the two-shirt method, he comes on and off so much that I can't stay covered. And I am somebody who wants to stay covered as much as possible. I really feel uncomfortable with the idea of anyone being able to see my chest. 

It happened the other day when I was nursing him while we were waiting in a full room to get my eyebrows waxed and my daughter's haircut. And I felt awkward. 

2. I mentioned that my son is anemic. I am going back to the doctor soon to get it checked up again, but until then we've been trying to get him to take his iron prescription. It's nasty. I don't blame him for fighting us on it. So then we are trying to offer him more iron-rich foods, but to no avail. He won't eat them. In fact, he's having a food strike at the moment. The only thing he will eat is chicken. Everything else gets tossed on the floor. So how in the world am I supposed to get him to take in more iron through his food? I am at a loss as to what to do. 

by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Oct. 22, 2016 at 1:06 PM
I don't think I've ever nursed in public after a year, and my babies nursed from 15 months at the shortest to 39 months the longest. I just tell them we will nurse at home in "our spot", which is either the one sofa or in bed. OR if going home wasn't happening in a reasonable time, I'd nurse in my sling or carrier.

I'd wait on that repeat blood test on the iron before you panic over how to get the iron down. I had a friend d who added cream of wheat to everything her kid ate (which accidentally ended up being horrible advice because he had undiagnosed celiac disease!) When my first was born hey told me I had to do polyvisol and this was before kellymom and cafemom, so I did it. We'll I tried. He spit it out. I tasted it myself, also spit it out and never gave it to him again. I can't imagine iron alone being tasty, though there was a poster who had suggestions on more palatable iron.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:41 PM
If he will eat chicken, that's great! Feed him chicken paired with some fruit. I have seen lots of recommendations for chicken and mandarin oranges. Vitamin C helps with iron absorption.

Do you babywear? That's what helped me to stay covered when my second son was like that. It also kept him on task when he got too distracted by the world around us to nurse.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:12 PM
What they said! It helps if everyone is having whatever he is eating. My children loved chicken and mandarin oranges.
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 7:16 PM
My son nursed until 4 but stopped nursing in public at 1.
He was also anemic. I gave him floradix and just put it in a couple ounces of real orange juice. Then he took it fine.
Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 2:30 PM
I tend not to nurse in public for the same reason as youi try to avoid it and when i cant i got to my car and nurse there
comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 2:38 PM
I stop nursing I'm public closer to 18 months-24 months

But....I don't really care who sees what...mostly

For the iron, I think it transfers thru bm? What if you upped your iron?
GaleJ
by on Oct. 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM
You may be better able to nurse more discreetly in public by not trying so hard to cover. Your son may be less fidgety without it and so be less revealing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)