Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No dairy club

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:16 AM
  • 14 Replies
Guess I'm joining the no dairy club. Dr thinks dd has a dairy allergy causing the screaming, spitup, and rash that has suddenly appeared.

Appt this afternoon for me for ppd. I was going to ask about switching to formula to help the ppd but now I guess I can't do that.
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:36 AM
I have done no dairy. You really have to check labels and I had to make most things from scratch (I was dairy and gluten free for a while, as we're the kids).

Did they do any tests?

Also, how are you managing your ppd?
AutasticMomx2
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 10:41 AM
My ds has been dairy free for 3 years so I'm used to reading labels and making things. It's annoying though because he is starting to outgrow it and I was just thinking we would get our normal lives back.

I'm not managing it right now which is why I have the appt today to get meds and start trying to control it. I was fine the first 2 weeks and then things started to spiral.

Quoting Precious333: I have done no dairy. You really have to check labels and I had to make most things from scratch (I was dairy and gluten free for a while, as we're the kids).

Did they do any tests?

Also, how are you managing your ppd?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 11:46 AM
There are hormones associated with breastfeeding that actually help PPD. We also have several moms on the forum who are dairy-free. That may make you feel better, too. Dairy is not well-tolerated by lots of adults. The ill effects can range from subtle to very obvious.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

AutasticMomx2
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:49 PM
Yah they actually don't help me because I have sexual abuse in my past that makes it hard for me to be touched. I get touched out and anxious very easily. One of the many reasons I told my dh another baby was a bad idea, but he didn't think it would be a big issue this time. Should have stood my ground better.

I don't do lots of dairy for my own health, but don't worry about trace amounts in baked goods, etc as those don't effect me. Now I have to be super vigilant which is not helping my anxiety.

Hoping we can get meds going today so I can try to get a handle on all of this.

Quoting MusherMaggie: There are hormones associated with breastfeeding yhat actually help PPD. We also have sevetal moms on the forum who are dairy-free. That may make you feel better, too. Dairy is not well-tolerated by lots of adults. The ill effects can range from subtle to very obvious.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:02 PM
I'm not dairy free but this is my third round with PPD so I can understand that aspect. There are actually a lot of mess that are safe to nurse on, if that's the route you want to take.
AutasticMomx2
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:28 PM
I'm going to the store tonight to pick up my zoloft :) last time I had this I wasn't bf anymore so I could take Xanax too, but can't take that this time so hopefully this is enough.

Quoting hip2it: I'm not dairy free but this is my third round with PPD so I can understand that aspect. There are actually a lot of mess that are safe to nurse on, if that's the route you want to take.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:45 PM
Man, you keep drawing the short straws. Hope you get fixed up. I had problems with the SSRIs and haven't felt like experimenting with other things yet.
AutasticMomx2
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:48 PM
Ha. It's pretty much how my life goes and why I see a counselor every week. I've been seeing her for a year now. Mostly I can roll with it and accept it, but when hormones get messed up too, it gets crazy.
I've had zoloft before so I really hope it's ok again. I've tried a few natural things but they don't help enough.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Man, you keep drawing the short straws. Hope you get fixed up. I had problems with the SSRIs and haven't felt like experimenting with other things yet.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Mobile Photo

Infant risk hotline says an occasional Xanax is fine as long as you don't feed baby for at least an hour after taking it. But that's a personal choice. You can call them for any Med questions and I believe they have an app now too.

I'm also bipolar so a big part of transitioning baby to formula is so I can be more comfortable taking my meds. I felt guilty about it but a healthy mom is important too.

Quoting AutasticMomx2: I'm going to the store tonight to pick up my zoloft :) last time I had this I wasn't bf anymore so I could take Xanax too, but can't take that this time so hopefully this is enough.

Quoting hip2it: I'm not dairy free but this is my third round with PPD so I can understand that aspect. There are actually a lot of mess that are safe to nurse on, if that's the route you want to take.
AutasticMomx2
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:37 PM
Thanks!
I'm going to try to avoid it if I can but good to know it would be ok if it's absolutely needed.

I totally understand needing to wean for mental health. A healthy mom is absolutely essential for a healthy and happy baby. Hugs.

Quoting hip2it:

Mobile Photo

Infant risk hotline says an occasional Xanax is fine as long as you don't feed baby for at least an hour after taking it. But that's a personal choice. You can call them for any Med questions and I believe they have an app now too.

I'm also bipolar so a big part of transitioning baby to formula is so I can be more comfortable taking my meds. I felt guilty about it but a healthy mom is important too.

Quoting AutasticMomx2: I'm going to the store tonight to pick up my zoloft :) last time I had this I wasn't bf anymore so I could take Xanax too, but can't take that this time so hopefully this is enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)