Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oversupply

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 3:59 PM
  • 6 Replies
I need help decreasing my supply . I'm 4 weeks PP and constantly miserable . I wasn't pumping but then I got mastitis and clogs and had to try to do what I could to clear it up . If I get engorged to the point I feel sick I just try to pump off the let down so I don't drown my little one ! Im not sure if it will even out in a few weeks or I'm doomed forever lol I hate how t gags my little one every time I try to feed her :( any advice welcome
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:01 PM
Reclined nursing. You lean back, she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Side-lying to nurse also works. If her diaper count is good, try offering one breast only for a feeding, then use only the other side for the next feeding. You can pump yourself "dry" once per day (usually first thing in the morning is best). Look up " Overactive letdown / oversupply " on Kellymom.com for more information. Has your baby been checked for lip and tongue ties?
Ktlady32
by Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:38 PM
Thank you for your suggestions! I learned something She only ever has one breast per feeding and only feeds for a few min tops . She's gaining weight perfectly she's in the 100th percentile and gained 8oz in one week . I do think she has an upper lip tie.. it looks pretty obvious and she gets the crease around her top lip after she nursed but no tounge tie but if she's transfers milk fine I don't think it's an issue . I'm relieved I can empty myself completely once a day that will feel so nice !
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Oct. 27, 2016 at 6:32 PM
The first 3 months or so your supply is driven by hormones, not by baby's ability to transfer milk and genuinely stimulate supply. Many moms find that tied babies start dropping off when their tongue and lip problems become responsible for diminishing mom'said supply and in turn, less gain or loss. The first few months, the baby isn't removing milk as much as they are drinking milk, that is pouring in abundantly while mom's hormones are going gangbusters.

Here is the technique for "full drainage block feeding" but I'd urge you to use extreme caution reducing your supply when baby has ties that haven't been revised. A mom with reduced supply and a baby with milk transfer problems can be the quick end to breastfeeding. Definitely something to have a preferred provider look at to determine if there is a potential issue or not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2075483/
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:12 PM
Yes, lip ties are almost always accompanied by posterior ( deep ) tongue ties, which are often missed. She's gaining well right now because of the oversupply. See the section on lip and tongue ties in our resources sticky. There are links to articles, pictures and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties. If you like, take a picture of her mouth with the top lip turned up and one with it open, under the tongue, like when she's crying . We should be able to see if there is something that needs to be evaluated.
Ktlady32
by Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 7:57 AM
Thank you for the information ladies! I'm pretty sure you both helped me 2 years ago with my first and we made it 15 months before I weaned to have this baby. I think I will try to post a picture of her lip tie later . I will hold off trying to reduce my supply even though I woke up with mastitis again this morning 😩
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Oct. 28, 2016 at 1:18 PM
You can hand express just enough for relief when you get unbearably engorged.

I agree with everything Stacy and Maggie said above.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)