Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tooth abscess

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 11:18 PM
  • 7 Replies
I think my 3 year old has a tooth abscess. He nurses about 3-5 times most days. I just discovered it while brushing his teeth tonight and will call his dentist in the morning. It's a green/yellow puss filled blister on his gums above a tooth. He's had other teeth issues before.

My guess is, if we get a dentist appointment tomorrow, that they will drain his abscess and put him on antibiotics. (If we are lucky & he doesn't need surgery)

Is it safe for me to nurse him with an open abscess, or will that put me in danger of an infection on my nipples? I have no open cuts or anything on my nipples. Also, if I did nurse him with an open abscess, should I apply something to my breasts after to help me not get an infection?

TIA
by on Oct. 27, 2016 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Oct. 28, 2016 at 12:17 AM
Abscess or not, mouths are filled with bacteria. And our bodies have successfully coped with this, with the antibiotic properties of the secretions from the Montgomery glands, and just your immune system system in general. when pathogens get in our body, our immune system is pretty quick ad efficient at destroying infectious agents. If you have immune issues or a wound, then maybe I'd give pause. You can always slather coconut oil on your nipples to keep bacteria at bay. That's good stuff anyway.

My one daughter had an Abscess on her gums last year. I first noticed a nasty smell. Then saw it. And when I pushed on it, it drained but the next day it was worse and I realized it wasn't going to get better from my method she was 6. An xray determined she must have banged her tooth at some point and the root had died. The infection would recur unless they pulled the tooth, about a year or two earlier than if they'd left it. They also told me a clinic infection could damage her permanent tooth in there. They gave her gas, novocaine and pulled it.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Oct. 28, 2016 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

This is how my daughter looked. When they pulled the tooth, the access actually drained through the hole. :-( I don't even remember if she was put on antibiotics. It was like instantly fixed. Man that smelled bad.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Nursing is actually the best thing you can do for him, and you will make antibodies to whatever infection he has. The secretions from you Montgomery's glands will protect you.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mostlymaydays:

Mobile Photo

This is how my daughter looked. When they pulled the tooth, the access actually drained through the hole. :-( I don't even remember if she was put on antibiotics. It was like instantly fixed. Man that smelled bad.

Good picture of a lip tie, as well!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Oct. 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
This child of mine has a meaty lip frenulum (though swollen here because of her infection) but has no restrictions and her lip can push all the way up to her nose. My youngest child, however has a lip tie and had restriction of function. She has the band of tissue that gives the tell tale tooth gap. But Dr. Ghaheri ruled out a tongue tie and we've moved forward watching it because I was able to get the flipple technique working on her. Ironically, she's my biggest baby, as far as weight gain. At 2 years she was 28 pounds while her sisters had just hit 20 at that age. But this last baby is also the only one I didn't block feed to actively manage my oversupply. Tongue ties and lip ties have made me rethink my typical advice to block feed to reduce oversupply.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting mostlymaydays:

Mobile Photo

Good picture of a lip tie, as well!
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! His isn't quite a large as hers but they are going to pull his tooth out in 2 weeks. They wanted him on antibiotics until then, to try and lesson the infection before pulling it. They did not drain it so he doesn't have any open wounds or anything.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Oct. 29, 2016 at 12:16 AM
Are they going to need to do anything to maintain the space for the few years until the new tooth comes in? My daughters space is now a little jacked up, but I think braces are in the future for all 5 of my kids so :-/ I'm pretty sure nursing doesn't work like suction does on a straw so I'm thinking nursing afterward shouldnt be too much of an issue? Some people swish with breastmilk to help heal mouth wounds so that'll be good.

Do they have any idea why he's got the abscess?

Quoting collinsmommy0: Thank you! His isn't quite a large as hers but they are going to pull his tooth out in 2 weeks. They wanted him on antibiotics until then, to try and lesson the infection before pulling it. They did not drain it so he doesn't have any open wounds or anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)