Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cold sores??

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
So my 19 month old has herpes simplex 1 virus. Basically a bad cold with cold sores. They are all over his lips. I'm nursing him with psoriasis on my nipples with cracks. Also I'm pregnant so I need to know if it's safe to nurse him. Can I get this? Will it harm my unborn baby?
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:55 PM
I found a LLL forum where something like this was asked. The mom was told to keep nursing, that she'd likely been exposed to the shedding virus at times there weren't even cold sores, and the virus was transmitted from mucus membrane to mucus membrane so it likely wouldn't be a skin issue. But I don't know what authority the authors had, and I have no personal experience or knowledge. I would think it'd be nearly impossible for a mom and her baby not to both have it. I can't imagine not kissing my baby, it's almost like a reflex. How does the baby have it and not you?
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:01 PM
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:05 PM
And of course I have to ask, he was definitely diagnosed with HSV-1? many people think their baby has cold sores only to find out they've got hand foot and mouth disease. Just checking.
Xandriasmommy
by Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:26 PM
Yup got diagnosed today at the dr. I've never had it that I know of, but I guess I could have it. We think he was exposed at a children's museum in a toddler baby area. He put a toy in his mouth right after another baby did. I tried to stop him but he was just out of reach.

Quoting mostlymaydays: And of course I have to ask, he was definitely diagnosed with HSV-1? many people think their baby has cold sores only to find out they've got hand foot and mouth disease. Just checking.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:43 PM
My older nursing chided has had a couple cold cores, I never got them.
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2016 at 8:48 PM
I apologize for asking, but are you sure you have psoriasis on your breast? How did you get that diagnosis?

Regardless I would keep nursing him.

I think you were in my sept 13 birth group. I hope your oldest daughter with special needs & mom are doing well. You are one busy mama! My middle is special needs, albeit high functioning, it is exhausting and I only have 3!
Xandriasmommy
by Member on Nov. 29, 2016 at 10:54 PM
I've had psoriasis my whole life, this on my nipples is very similar. However when I first got it in the spring I went in thinking maybe thrush. It's good ol' psoriasis. Which sucks because there is nothing I can do about it while nursing. It's getting better now that I'm pregnant but it takes time. Yup you are totally right. We are! My oldest has her issues but most of the time we manage and my mom is finally doing really good. She's actually taking Kai for the night so I can catch up on some much needed sleep. It's hard anytime you have special needs involved...exhausting at minimum!!

Quoting Marti123: I apologize for asking, but are you sure you have psoriasis on your breast? How did you get that diagnosis?

Regardless I would keep nursing him.

I think you were in my sept 13 birth group. I hope your oldest daughter with special needs & mom are doing well. You are one busy mama! My middle is special needs, albeit high functioning, it is exhausting and I only have 3!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)