Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

engorged

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:44 AM
  • 3 Replies
My baby is 4 days old my milk started to come in the 2nd day but yesterday it really came in and now I'm totally engorged. He's really good about just spitting out the extra flow of milk but he's starting to get frustrated cuz he has a hard time being able to latch due to how swollen they are especially at night when he's sleppy. Not to mention I don't enjoy being soaked in breast milk either. Any tips ?
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:37 AM
Ice bags and ibuprofen to reduce swelling. Reclined nursing : you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Side-lying to nurse also works. Towels in the bed at night. Use one breast only per feeding. Gently hand express just a little to soften the nipple. This usually resolves itself. If this continues beyond a few weeks, further block nursing can be done, but you want to wait until supply is fully established.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:16 PM
Exactly what Maggie said!!!^^^
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 14, 2016 at 7:24 AM
Ditto what Maggie said. And look up Reverse Pressure softening. It helped me immensely. Otherwise it was like the baby was trying to latch onto a bowling ball. :-/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)