Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rough Nights

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 12:09 AM
  • 19 Replies

I really don't know what to do. My 15-month-old is fighting sleep more and more in the evenings. Each night this week it's taken at least 3 hours to get him down. It's midnight, and he's still not down. 

From 10-midnight used to be the only time I got with my husband or to myself. Now, I don't even have that. I can feel myself losing patience with my kids more during the day because it's nearly impossible for me to find anytime to myself. 

My husband asked me if I wanted to wean. For the first time I considered it. I feel so done. But he doesn't eat enough food...and the only way I can get him to sleep is by nursing so I feel like I have no choice but to continue. 

I am just at my wit's end. I feel like this is a never ending battle. 

by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvMay2010
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 12:20 AM
Maybe try setting bath time every night at like 8:00 and that might get him to fall asleep by 10.Also try using Johnson's bedtime bath and lotion.Just remind yourself "this to shall pass"
Oldforge001
by Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 12:33 AM
Try disappearing when it's bedtime. I have a rough time getting Kit to sleep without feeding but for some reason she will go right down for my hubby or my sister. Maybe a few nights of that will get back on track!! Good luck momma!
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 13, 2017 at 2:03 AM
Hey!

So, I don't know if your situation is similar to mine. My toddler (she's 3 now, but did started this a year or so ago) would fight naps and then take a really long late nap. We would have all had dinner and I would get the older kids in bed and then she would wake up and be wide awake, then want to nurse to sleep. Then she would wake up around 2 or 3 starving and would keep me up wanting to nurse all night, but it wouldn't fill her up.

So, what I did was said that she had to eat dinner before she nursed. She was not allowed to nurse to sleep until she ate some dinner. She is very stubborn, but I had to become more stubborn because our sleep depended on it. For toddlers, you can require solids before nursing if you choose, when before 1 nursing came first and solids were like the dessert.

I hope this helps
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:14 AM
What time does he wake in the morning and is he taking one or two naps still? My kids with sleep issues got worse after weaning, when I no longer had my last trick.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree I think weaning would just be adding another battle! I would try starting bedtime earlier (like 6:30). In our hous if I start bedtime after 8 it's a fight but if I start early it's cake and he sleeps much better! Caveats are no tv after 4pm (so on week days the TV stays off). After supper it's bath time then Jammie's, 6:30 is story time songs then lights out. At first we had to rock and nurse to sleep then gradually went to nursing during stories, then rocking during songs then rub his back to sleep. Now he nurses and we rock, I tuck him in with his lovie and turn on soft music and leave the room. It was a long battle but the earlier consistent bedtime really helped.
novella0708
by Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:17 AM
I'll try this. He loves baths, but we don't bathe him every night.

Quoting LuvMay2010: Maybe try setting bath time every night at like 8:00 and that might get him to fall asleep by 10.Also try using Johnson's bedtime bath and lotion.Just remind yourself "this to shall pass"
novella0708
by Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:19 AM
I'll disappear for a bit but he never falls asleep with anyone else. He just cries and looks for me.

Quoting Oldforge001: Try disappearing when it's bedtime. I have a rough time getting Kit to sleep without feeding but for some reason she will go right down for my hubby or my sister. Maybe a few nights of that will get back on track!! Good luck momma!
novella0708
by Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:20 AM
I normally nurse after meals, but he doesn't eat much. I don't know how to get him to eat every meal.

Quoting Precious333: Hey!

So, I don't know if your situation is similar to mine. My toddler (she's 3 now, but did started this a year or so ago) would fight naps and then take a really long late nap. We would have all had dinner and I would get the older kids in bed and then she would wake up and be wide awake, then want to nurse to sleep. Then she would wake up around 2 or 3 starving and would keep me up wanting to nurse all night, but it wouldn't fill her up.

So, what I did was said that she had to eat dinner before she nursed. She was not allowed to nurse to sleep until she ate some dinner. She is very stubborn, but I had to become more stubborn because our sleep depended on it. For toddlers, you can require solids before nursing if you choose, when before 1 nursing came first and solids were like the dessert.

I hope this helps
novella0708
by Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:24 AM
He wakes around 9. We've been down to one nap for awhile. He doesn't fight nap, but it's generally 1 to 3. This week he's been trying to take too short or too long naps so I wouldn't be surprised if nap is the culprit. Bedtime is between 9 and 10. My DH doesn't get home to 7 so we do a later schedule so the kids have time with their dad.

Quoting mostlymaydays: What time does he wake in the morning and is he taking one or two naps still? My kids with sleep issues got worse after weaning, when I no longer had my last trick.
novella0708
by Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 9:26 AM
Earlier is impossible for us. They would never see their dad. He gets home around 7. We wake up later to compensate for a late bedtime.

Quoting audmom1218: I agree I think weaning would just be adding another battle! I would try starting bedtime earlier (like 6:30). In our hous if I start bedtime after 8 it's a fight but if I start early it's cake and he sleeps much better! Caveats are no tv after 4pm (so on week days the TV stays off). After supper it's bath time then Jammie's, 6:30 is story time songs then lights out. At first we had to rock and nurse to sleep then gradually went to nursing during stories, then rocking during songs then rub his back to sleep. Now he nurses and we rock, I tuck him in with his lovie and turn on soft music and leave the room. It was a long battle but the earlier consistent bedtime really helped.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)