Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ugh formula :( help...

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:37 PM
  • 9 Replies

RN I EBF on demand.  I hardly ever pump but when I do I'm only getting out between 1-4oz... usually closer to two ounces.  DD3 is 3.5 months old and I work two to three days a week, 4-8 hrs at a time. Anyway... I am having a hard time pumping enough milk for her while I'm gone.  She needs about 6-8oz for every 3-4 hr shift. I did NOT have this problem with DD2.  I could pump full 5oz bottles from both breasts ALL of the time. I didn't work with her this early though.  I didn't work until she was 6 months old.. any way.. I'm thinking of getting formula for when I'm at work because it's stressing me out so much. What can I do to be able to pump more milk?! (I'm currently using a medela hand pump) AND I already drink a ton of water... OR what kind of formula would be best for a breast fed baby? 

((I totally feel inadequet or like a bad mom because I'm thinking about leaving her formula... this totally sucks for me.))

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Dreagon_Magos
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Try a better pump(electric insurance usually offers them for free) Pump after every nursing at home and store it. It'll build up supply. I'd avoid formula if you can.
mcmlxxxv
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe check about renting an electric pump from a medical supply place so you can see if that would help. Also make sure your pump shields fit properly. Try pumping more often, if possible.

If you do switch to formula, don't hate yourself. You have to do what is best for you and your child in your situation. I sometimes used formula for trips out of the house when it would be difficult to breastfeed or to store pumped milk.
Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with getting a different pump
Call your insurance company
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the medela pumps are pretty awful.  I had a pump in style and had the same issue.  You might want to try another brand pump.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 27, 2017 at 12:37 AM
2 moms liked this
At 1-1.25 oz per hour is the general rule of thumb when bottle feeding a breastfed baby.
Based on that data Baby needs alot less.
If you nurse before you leave 2 hours later they offer a 2-3oz bottle then you nurse immediately upon return. That's only 2-3 oz used and could be much more manageable.
And with the 8hour shift same thing nurse before you leave. 2 hours later a 2-3oz bottle. 2 hours later a 2-3oz bottle and then 2 hours later another 2-3oz bottle and when you get home about 2 hours later you pick right back up breastfeeding.
Pumping 5oz is not normal, not to say that it's bad. Normal is 0.5-2oz total combined from both breasts when pumping for a missed feeding. Try to pump at least once on your 4 hour shift and at least twice on the 8hour shift. Also if you pump one side while simultaneously nursing on the other side first thing in the morning thats when supply is close to the highest. Baby will still be able to get milk from the side you had pumped. That could help make up for anywhere you're short having milk.

Also make sure the caretaker of baby is familiar with paced bottle feeding. So baby should be sitting bottle held parallel to the floor. And stopping to burp every oz.

But ultimately formula isn't the end all. If that's what you want to do to make it less stressful then go for it. There are plenty of moms who have done the nursing at home and formula when working. But also the formula bottles need to be about the same amount of milk and using the same paced bottle feeding method. Never to go past 4oz or else babys tummy will get accustom to holding larger amounts in a single session and will feel like they got jipped when they nurse and arent getting that same amount.

Hope this was helpful for you and that you're successful whichever direction you go :)
LBJK2
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

You need a better pump. It will make a huge difference.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
She only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. Use paced bottlefeeding procedure : slowest flow newborn nipple always, baby held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows her brain to register that her tummy is full and prevents overfeeding, and preserves your supply. Normal pump output for a missed feeding is .5-2 ounces per session from both breasts combined. If you aren't already, pump first thing every morning, working or not, before, during or after the first morning feeding. You're really doing better than you think! See "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com for more information and print off a copy for your caregiver. You want the bottles to just tie her over until you can be with her to nurse. Remember diaper count. Also look up "galactagogues" on Kellymom.com for a list of simple foods that will boost supply. Formula is not needed, just tweaking the feeding method and management a bit.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 27, 2017 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
THIS!!! These are great tips on how to time your last nursing session and space out those bottles.

Quoting melindabelcher: At 1-1.25 oz per hour is the general rule of thumb when bottle feeding a breastfed baby.
Based on that data Baby needs alot less.
If you nurse before you leave 2 hours later they offer a 2-3oz bottle then you nurse immediately upon return. That's only 2-3 oz used and could be much more manageable.
And with the 8hour shift same thing nurse before you leave. 2 hours later a 2-3oz bottle. 2 hours later a 2-3oz bottle and then 2 hours later another 2-3oz bottle and when you get home about 2 hours later you pick right back up breastfeeding.
Pumping 5oz is not normal, not to say that it's bad. Normal is 0.5-2oz total combined from both breasts when pumping for a missed feeding. Try to pump at least once on your 4 hour shift and at least twice on the 8hour shift. Also if you pump one side while simultaneously nursing on the other side first thing in the morning thats when supply is close to the highest. Baby will still be able to get milk from the side you had pumped. That could help make up for anywhere you're short having milk.

Also make sure the caretaker of baby is familiar with paced bottle feeding. So baby should be sitting bottle held parallel to the floor. And stopping to burp every oz.

But ultimately formula isn't the end all. If that's what you want to do to make it less stressful then go for it. There are plenty of moms who have done the nursing at home and formula when working. But also the formula bottles need to be about the same amount of milk and using the same paced bottle feeding method. Never to go past 4oz or else babys tummy will get accustom to holding larger amounts in a single session and will feel like they got jipped when they nurse and arent getting that same amount.

Hope this was helpful for you and that you're successful whichever direction you go :)
Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 6:30 PM
Yep you are over feeding her. She should get no more than 3-4oz per 3 hrs no matter her age.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)