Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

how do you get away

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2007 at 4:20 PM
  • 10 Replies
I have a two month old and I was wondering how do you ever get away for some "me" time? I try pumping and giving her a bottle but she won't take it all the time. Currently trying other bottles and nipples but until then how do you keep sane with not being able to get away from the baby. It would be easier if she wasn't still nursing almost constantly but the best things aren't always easy.
by on Feb. 24, 2007 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiesmom72
by on Feb. 24, 2007 at 5:41 PM
I know how you feel.  My dd is 8 months old and is still nursing every 2-3 hours.  She will take a bottle from me, but not for anyone else.  If I'm out of her sight for more than 1/2 hour she'll start screaming and won't stop until I'm back.  I know part of this is separation anxiety, but it's frustrating all the same.  When I get frustrated I just tell myself that this won't last forever and there will come a day when she won't want anything to do with me!  LOL!  So I just grin and bear it and think of all of the fun things I'll do when she's over this.

But by all means, don't give up on trying to get her to take a bottle.  Have someone else do it besides you.  Most babies are more willing to take a bottle from someone other than Mommy.  And even if you can't leave the house, maybe you could at least go into another room and read a book/magazine, watch a tv show, call a friend, or take a bath while someone else keeps an eye on the baby between feedings.  Even something quick like that can give you a break and help you to recharge.

Hang in there!  Smile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 24, 2007 at 10:27 PM
Are you the one giving the bottle? That can be the problem right there. Babies are smart and often won't take a bottle from mom.

Let dad do it while you're out of the house getting that "me" time. Try a 30 minute outing to start with, then a little longer. Very likely you'll find that you're antsy to get back to the baby after an hour or so. :-)
PoetryRavn
by on Feb. 24, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Are you the one giving the bottle? That can be the problem right there. Babies are smart and often won't take a bottle from mom.

Let dad do it while you're out of the house getting that "me" time. Try a 30 minute outing to start with, then a little longer. Very likely you'll find that you're antsy to get back to the baby after an hour or so. :-)
Actually she'll take a bottle more often from me then anyone else.  My husband and I are going to try to go out for breakfast while grandma watches the baby. We are hoping she'll sleep through the whole thing but leaving a bottle for grandma to try just in case. Wish us ( well me, he can still go out if he wants) luck!
cacc2002
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 8:07 AM
my dd is 7 1/2 months old and I am just now getting out for me time.  it sucks- I wish I hadn't waited for extreme burnout to get out.  I feed her and then leave right away, and that gives me a full 3 1/2 hours to be gone, come home for another quick feed and then leave again if I still need away.  my dd won't take a bottle either- so I just quit fighting it and work around it.  It's worked out well for us- because in 3 1/2 hours I can still go and get my nails done, or go shopping or whatever-
MaireeBrown
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 2:23 PM

I would pump and have daddy give a bottle several times a week or even once a day so that your baby is used to having a bottle, and having a bottle from someone else.  And soon enough you'll have more freedom.  My husband and I went out last night for the first time since our four month old was born, and it went relatively well.  I pumped in the car before we got to our destination, and then right after we got back in the car.  The cigarette lighter adapter is great with the breast pumps.  So it can be done, and you will have freedom again!!!  Good luck. 

JTE11
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Honestly, you might just have to wait it out until she is older. I didn't get 'me' time until DD was over a year old because she had nursing and sleeping issues and I just couldn't leave until she got old enough and got over those things. She never took a bottle either and pretty much screamed unless she was nursing so I couldn't leave her with anyone.  Just try to be patient, it won't last forever but it might be another few months until she's in a place where you can leave her for a while.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Eh, we just went out WITH baby. It was easier. Now that we have a toddler, life is WAY harder.

I never limited my social life with a newborn. Heck, I even got a pedicure one time with my nine week old strapped to my chest in my Moby. I went for sushi with friends, did some happy hours... the boy just went with me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Hand baby and bottle to caregiver. LEAVE. Strict instructions: No phone calls except in the case of BLOOD or FLAMES."

Done.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM
This was from WAY back in 2007!!! Almost 6 years ago! I hope this mom did eventually get away. LOL
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Ah! Good catch! Did not notice that! :)

Quoting Junebaby18:

This was from WAY back in 2007!!! Almost 6 years ago! I hope this mom did eventually get away. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)