Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I want a hysterectomy with this next birth

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:17 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi mamas! I want a hysterectomy with this next baby i am having.. I currently have a placenta previa and a hemmorage. I want to be done > I know I am done now..I also have a medical reason to have it done. lol.. So how does that effect breastfeeding??

by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 2:32 PM

I had hysterectomy in 2013 and I didn't really notice any effects on breastfeeding. However my youngest was over a year and half. It might be different right after giving birth. I worried it would cause an issue but could never get a straight answer but I had to have it, so I just did it and hoped for the best.

Have you discussed this with a doctor? The reason I ask is because most of the time a doctor won't do a hysterectomy unless it's absoutly necessary. I know a woman who had endometerosis and got very little relief from any kind of treatment. She decided she wanted a hysterectomy...2 years and 4 doctors later she finally got it.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 3:55 PM
Quoting jjchick75:

I had hysterectomy in 2013 and I didn't really notice any effects on breastfeeding. However my youngest was over a year and half. It might be different right after giving birth. I worried it would cause an issue but could never get a straight answer but I had to have it, so I just did it and hoped for the best.

Have you discussed this with a doctor? The reason I ask is because most of the time a doctor won't do a hysterectomy unless it's absoutly necessary. I know a woman who had endometerosis and got very little relief from any kind of treatment. She decided she wanted a hysterectomy...2 years and 4 doctors later she finally got it.

From on of our administrators:

mostlymaydays Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 14, 2017 at 9:21 PM
I found this: "It is possible to breastfeed after a hysterectomy. You don't need a uterus or ovaries in order to be able to nurse your baby. Breastfeeding is regulated by hormones secreted by the hypothalmus and the pituitary glands. Your milk production is not affected by removing your ovaries and/or uterus."

BUT I've also read that if a woman goes on estrogen HRT, the estrogen can decrease milk supply.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2017 at 5:51 PM

THANK you ladies! I did figure it out kind of! I am goin on birth control that i know works for me for up to a year after baby comes. then I am getting it done. My dr wants me to get my weight where I want it first.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting jjchick75:

From on of our administrators: mostlymaydays Group Admin - Stacy on Jan. 14, 2017 at 9:21 PM I found this: "It is possible to breastfeed after a hysterectomy. You don't need a uterus or ovaries in order to be able to nurse your baby. Breastfeeding is regulated by hormones secreted by the hypothalmus and the pituitary glands. Your milk production is not affected by removing your ovaries and/or uterus." BUT I've also read that if a woman goes on estrogen HRT, the estrogen can decrease milk supply.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2017 at 9:48 PM
If the birth control contains estrogen, it will dry you up in 24-48 hours. The mini-pill presents far less of a risk, but some women do have some supply issues with it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)