Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM
  • 5 Replies
Hi mommas! My name is Rhiannon and I am trying to bring my supply back. I have a 5 week old that I stopped breastfeeding 2 weeks ago to see if it helped his tummy. My middle child had a milk allergy and had to be on special formula and I thought he had it too because he was vomiting after feedings and just all around having tummy issues. Turns out it's just reflux so I want to go back to breastfeeding. I still have some milk and I'm trying to pump to re establish my supply but it's hurting really badly! Does anyone have any tips to help with the pain and also to help boost my supply? I currently have about a weeks worth of breast milk saved in the freezer and my baby eats about 5-6 ounces per feeding so I need to boost it as quickly as possible! Thanks!
by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:48 PM
Firstly, will you baby latch on at all? And how was the reflux diagnosed? What you describe sounds more like overactive letdown/oversupply. If your baby will nurse at all, get in bed with him and nurse him at every wiggle. Diaper count tells you what he is taking in. You want to see a minimum of six diapers every twenty-four hours with at least two quarter-sized poops. Anything extra wet or larger than a quarter counts as two diapers.

Keep him at the breast and keep an eye on the diapers count. If you need to supplement, keep the bottles no larger than three ounces, and use the slowest flow newborn nipple. Hold him in a seated position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows his brain to register that his tummy is full and prevents overfeeding. His stomach may be stretched out from the larger bottles. Better yet, get an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) so he can receive the supplement while he nurses, further stimulating your supply.

Pumping should not hurt. What pump are you using, and are the flanges the correct size? Massaging your breasts before and during nursing or pumping will help move things along.

Look up "Getting Baby Back to Breast " on Kellymom.com for more information.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 25, 2017 at 12:36 PM
Everything Mushermaggie says. And I also want to add that a 5-6 ounce bottle is about double what is recommended for a breastfed baby. That may have caused some stretching that is now going to cause baby to very much prefer the bounty of the bottle compared to mom. I'd recommend feeding a 2-3 ounce bottle every 2 hours instead of the big bottle tiding things over for 3-4 hours. Nurse as often as possible and pump every other time. A good pump can make all the difference.
Readyforbaby2
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2017 at 2:37 PM
Yes he will, but only for a minute or so at the time. The reflux was diagnosed by 2 pediatricians. I definitely had an overactive letdown/overproduction I was getting 12-18 ounces every 3 hours while pumping and still had plenty for him to feed on. Where can I get a SNS? I am using a Medela PISA. I think my flanges are the wrong size after looking into it. I'll go buy some new ones today.

Thank you!!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Firstly, will you baby latch on at all? And how was the reflux diagnosed? What you describe sounds more like overactive letdown/oversupply. If your baby will nurse at all, get in bed with him and nurse him at every wiggle. Diaper count tells you what he is taking in. You want to see a minimum of six diapers every twenty-four hours with at least two quarter-sized poops. Anything extra wet or larger than a quarter counts as two diapers.

Keep him at the breast and keep an eye on the diapers count. If you need to supplement, keep the bottles no larger than three ounces, and use the slowest flow newborn nipple. Hold him in a seated position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows his brain to register that his tummy is full and prevents overfeeding. His stomach may be stretched out from the larger bottles. Better yet, get an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) so he can receive the supplement while he nurses, further stimulating your supply.

Pumping should not hurt. What pump are you using, and are the flanges the correct size? Massaging your breasts before and during nursing or pumping will help move things along.

Look up "Getting Baby Back to Breast " on Kellymom.com for more information.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2017 at 4:18 PM
Unless the doctors did an endoscopic study, they are diagnosing based solely on the vomiting? Also, was he checked for lip and tongue ties?

Medela should have an SNS. Amazon might even have them.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 25, 2017 at 5:59 PM

HOLY OVERSUPPLY!!! Breastfed babies get 24-30 ounces per day, and you were getting that in only 2 pumping sessions?!? I can't even comprehend how much you're talking about in a 24 hour period?!?!   That alone probably caused a tremendous amount of spit up and belly pain! I hope you can get your supply back up. It's really a bummer that you went from one extreme to the other, but I can tell you I think more moms end up quitting because of oversupply problems than low supply. By almost all accounts, oversupply symptoms look like reflux, the biggest difference is that scoping the baby will show acid erosion in reflux babies. The reflux meds prevent or neutralize the acid, but because of the immature sphyncter, the babies still spit up, but without the acid burn. But an oversupply baby appears to get better when off the boob for the sheer reason that the bottle doesn't spray the back of their throat like mom's overactive letdown does, drowning them, but bottles, formula or reflux meds get the credit. There are other ways to manage oversupply and overactive letdown but pediatricians aren't trained in lactation so they usually rely on treating diseases as they were taught. 

Quoting Readyforbaby2: Yes he will, but only for a minute or so at the time. The reflux was diagnosed by 2 pediatricians. I definitely had an overactive letdown/overproduction I was getting 12-18 ounces every 3 hours while pumping and still had plenty for him to feed on. Where can I get a SNS? I am using a Medela PISA. I think my flanges are the wrong size after looking into it. I'll go buy some new ones today. Thank you!!
Quoting MusherMaggie: Firstly, will you baby latch on at all? And how was the reflux diagnosed? What you describe sounds more like overactive letdown/oversupply. If your baby will nurse at all, get in bed with him and nurse him at every wiggle. Diaper count tells you what he is taking in. You want to see a minimum of six diapers every twenty-four hours with at least two quarter-sized poops. Anything extra wet or larger than a quarter counts as two diapers. Keep him at the breast and keep an eye on the diapers count. If you need to supplement, keep the bottles no larger than three ounces, and use the slowest flow newborn nipple. Hold him in a seated position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows his brain to register that his tummy is full and prevents overfeeding. His stomach may be stretched out from the larger bottles. Better yet, get an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) so he can receive the supplement while he nurses, further stimulating your supply. Pumping should not hurt. What pump are you using, and are the flanges the correct size? Massaging your breasts before and during nursing or pumping will help move things along. Look up "Getting Baby Back to Breast " on Kellymom.com for more information.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)