Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spitting up

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 1:17 AM
  • 14 Replies

Mobile Photo

My twins turned 1 month yesterday and are EBF but they are spitting up a lot lately. My girls before them almost never spit up so I'm new to this. They don't nurse long at all or that often and I have OAL and oversupply which I know is half the battle. I try incline and block feeding and it helps some but not much.

They will nurse, do a huge burp and then spit up. Lots of time it just dribbles out and sometimes several times after a feed. But they are growing great! Actually above the curve. A started at 6.10, dropped to 5.15 and was 7.4 at 2 weeks. Right now I'm guessing he is 8lbs+. Baby B was 5.10, dropped to 5.2 and was 6.3 at 2 weeks.

Should I be concerned? Any other tips to try? They do get gassy and fussy randomly then will burp/spit up and then be happy again.

Pic is them in milk coma after tandem nursing.
by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 17, 2017 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I think the spit up is just from your OAL. Boy, they'd let you know if they were uncomfortable. Stellar weight gain! And ebf twins, no less!!! I'd just put bibs on them all the time so you only have to change their clothes half as often. Same for your clothes. 2 of my kids were profuse spitter uppers, but happy and overachieving with the weight. Keep up the reclined feeding, and hopefully they just get better about keeping it down, or your supply tames down.
Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 1:46 AM
Thank you! I'm hoping it's just the OAL and will improve as they grow and I regulate. They are also my smallest babies so I figured that has a lot to do with it. I just pray it's not an allergy, after being on a strict diet for GD I'm so enjoying food again lol.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I think the spit up is just from your OAL. Boy, they'd let you know if they were uncomfortable. Stellar weight gain! And ebf twins, no less!!! I'd just put bibs on them all the time so you only have to change their clothes half as often. Same for your clothes. 2 of my kids were profuse spitter uppers, but happy and overachieving with the weight. Keep up the reclined feeding, and hopefully they just get better about keeping it down, or your supply tames down.
kajira
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

They are growing great. Spit up happens, as long as they don't seem overly distressed, try not to worry about it besides having spare clothes around for everyone and a towel to wipe up the messes ;)

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope, as long as they are not spitting up in pain, they are fine. Their little sphincter muscles still need a bit more development, and their tummies to grow a bit more. If they're gaining well, all is well. But, as we ask every mom, have they been evaluated for lip and tongue ties?
Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:25 AM
Thanks! I'm learning that the hard way, I've never had to really use bibs or burps clothes before, guess there is a first time for everything!

Quoting kajira:

They are growing great. Spit up happens, as long as they don't seem overly distressed, try not to worry about it besides having spare clothes around for everyone and a towel to wipe up the messes ;)

Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:28 AM
Ok good, I mean they have had thier moments of being uncomfortable but I think it was from over-eating and getting gassy.

I'm not sure in the LC at the hospital looked at them or not. They have nursed and latched well from day one and I've had zero pain. With the gain too I figured they should be ok but I can take pics when they wake up. Thanks

Quoting MusherMaggie: Nope, as long as they are not spitting up in pain, they are fine. Their little sphincter muscles still need a bit more development, and their tummies to grow a bit more. If they're gaining well, all is well. But, as we ask every mom, have they been evaluated for lip and tongue ties?
Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:56 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Baby A then Baby B

Quoting MusherMaggie: Nope, as long as they are not spitting up in pain, they are fine. Their little sphincter muscles still need a bit more development, and their tummies to grow a bit more. If they're gaining well, all is well. But, as we ask every mom, have they been evaluated for lip and tongue ties?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 18, 2017 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
You might want to have them checked for ties. Those look like they might be lip ties, and where there are lip ties, there are almost always tongue ties. Check the section on ties in our FAQ section; there are links to pictures, articles and a list of reputable providers by state who evaluate and revise ties if they are present.
kajira
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2017 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Those are definitely ties. Even if you don't get the lip cut, you'll need the tongue done.

My daughter had to have hers down a few days after birth, and because we didn't get the top lip done, she's got a gap in her front teeth ^.^ The ENT said it wasn't needed, but the gap proved otherwise. I'll have to have it cut before her adult teeth come in by a dentist.

Quoting Careeka22:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Baby A then Baby B

Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2017 at 12:29 PM
Ok thanks, I'll ask at thier appt on Thursday.

Quoting MusherMaggie: You might want to have them checked for ties. Those look like they might be lip ties, and where there are lip ties, there are almost always tongue ties. Check the section on ties in our FAQ section; there are links to pictures, articles and a list of reputable providers by state who evaluate and revise ties if they are present.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)