Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dental problems

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:48 AM
  • 5 Replies
My daughter has dental problems and I think it's from nursing. Her front top teeth are brown on the back and have chipped from getting weak from cavities. I didn't notice any of it until it was too late and stepping up our teeth brushing didn't prevent the teeth from chipping. now we've seen a dentist and are considering having fillings done to cover the broken teeth and cavities but it would require light sedation. She is almost 2.5 and I'm considering waiting till she's older but don't want her teeth to deteriorate to the point of needing to get pulled.
Does anyone have experience with this and what did you do? Thanks :)
by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:57 AM
I'd almost bet money she has a lip tie. This is SO COMMON with lip ties because food and bacteria get trapped tight against the tooth surface instead of swooshed away with saliva. Breastmilk has antibacterial properties and actually fights bacteria and tooth decay. However once baby is eating solids, the game changes. And lip ties are dooming. The mechanics of breastfeeding have the milk sucked and swallowed in the same step so milk doesn't pool in their mouth like from a bottle.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 12:41 PM
Quoting mostlymaydays: I'd almost bet money she has a lip tie. This is SO COMMON with lip ties because food and bacteria get trapped tight against the tooth surface instead of swooshed away with saliva. Breastmilk has antibacterial properties and actually fights bacteria and tooth decay. However once baby is eating solids, the game changes. And lip ties are dooming. The mechanics of breastfeeding have the milk sucked and swallowed in the same step so milk doesn't pool in their mouth like from a bottle.

This. My daughter's front teeth chipped and I only realized later that she must have had a lip tie (she popped it at some point by falling and hitting her mouth) and that she still has a posterior tongue tie. She has had some dental issues later on that were in all likelihood due to the ties as well, and also has migraines and TMJ syndrome.

Have a look at the section on ties in our FAQ section. It has links to pictures, articles, and a list of reputable providers by state who evaluate and revise ties.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 17, 2017 at 4:21 PM
I do know we have a couple moms here whose babies have had caps and other extensive dental work. Hopefully they can chime in with their experience to answer that part of your question. I hate seeing those teeth pulled if they can be saved. My daughter had an injury to the root of her one lateral incisors which caused an abscess. They pulled her tooth, probably a year or two before it would have fallen out on its own. And she's now 7 and the orthodontist is concerned about how her teeth have grown into the wrong spots because of it. Now she's probably going to have her canines pulled to borrow some space for her adult lateral incisors to come in. Then at some point she'll need braces to make space for her adult canines to come in.
Mommy331
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:31 PM
Thank you so much for suggesting this!! I've done some reading and it does seem like she might have a lip tie. I think I might have one too maybe so I thought that was normal. I'm going to be doing more reading on it now. We haven't had any problems at all with breast feeding though, don't lip ties usually cause problems?
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jun. 17, 2017 at 7:57 PM
They *can* cause one or more problems. My daughter has a lip tie but didn't have any breastfeeding problems. She has a big tooth gap right now but that's almost desirable as it acts as a place holder for the bigger adult teeth. And it hasn't affected her teeth negatively. Dr. Ghaheri himself conformed she does NOT have a tongue tie, which would be a whole other set of issues you can't ignore. More than 98% of lip ties also have a tongue tie. If you look on my one post about tongue tie providers you can see recommended providers, state by state, people trained to properly assess and revise ties.

Quoting Mommy331: Thank you so much for suggesting this!! I've done some reading and it does seem like she might have a lip tie. I think I might have one too maybe so I thought that was normal. I'm going to be doing more reading on it now. We haven't had any problems at all with breast feeding though, don't lip ties usually cause problems?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)