Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nipple soreness - edit: pic added

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM
  • 11 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Baby is 3 months old. I've used a shield with him since he was probably a week old. I started using it because my nipples were extremely sore, cracked, and bleeding. For the past week I've been using the shield less and less, my nipples are even more sore now than they were in the beginning. I'm talking teeth clenching sore. I'm at a loss on what to do. Baby seems to be gaining weight. He was 9lbs 8oz at birth, 8lbs 12oz at 5 days old. At his 2 month check up he was 12lbs 12oz. Plenty of wet diapers. Dirty diapers every other day. Pediatrician mentioned when he was born about him having a high palette, I've tried latching him In just about every position and nothing seems to be helping. I'm at a loss. Can anyone offer any tips or anything to make this a little easier?

EDIT:: I added a picture of his tongue and lip. Pediatrician said his tongue looked tight today. I'm assuming that means a tie?
by on Jul. 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by on Jul. 24, 2017 at 2:15 PM

I had nipple soreness for a couple weeks when starting breastfeeding each baby.  It did ease up after that.

Have you consulted a lactation consultant?  Is there a La Leche group near you?

http://www.llli.org/webus.html

Good luck!  I hope this gets easier for you.

Quoting Katie_85: Baby is 3 months old. I've used a shield with him since he was probably a week old. I started using it because my nipples were extremely sore, cracked, and bleeding. For the past week I've been using the shield less and less, my nipples are even more sore now than they were in the beginning. I'm talking teeth clenching sore. I'm at a loss on what to do. Baby seems to be gaining weight. He was 9lbs 8oz at birth, 8lbs 12oz at 5 days old. At his 2 month check up he was 12lbs 12oz. Plenty of wet diapers. Dirty diapers every other day. Pediatrician mentioned when he was born about him having a high palette, I've tried latching him In just about every position and nothing seems to be helping. I'm at a loss. Can anyone offer any tips or anything to make this a little easier?

Katie_85
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2017 at 3:26 PM
Thank you for the reply! I have not consulted a LC yet. I honestly don't even know how to go about finding one. There was one at the hospital I delivered at but she was very rude. I found a Person through your link and I have contacted her, just waiting for her reply. This is my second breastfed baby I don't remember it being this painful 😞

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

I had nipple soreness for a couple weeks when starting breastfeeding each baby.  It did ease up after that.

Quoting Katie_85: Baby is 3 months old. I've used a shield with him since he was probably a week old. I started using it because my nipples were extremely sore, cracked, and bleeding. For the past week I've been using the shield less and less, my nipples are even more sore now than they were in the beginning. I'm talking teeth clenching sore. I'm at a loss on what to do. Baby seems to be gaining weight. He was 9lbs 8oz at birth, 8lbs 12oz at 5 days old. At his 2 month check up he was 12lbs 12oz. Plenty of wet diapers. Dirty diapers every other day. Pediatrician mentioned when he was born about him having a high palette, I've tried latching him In just about every position and nothing seems to be helping. I'm at a loss. Can anyone offer any tips or anything to make this a little easier?

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2017 at 7:14 PM
Sounds like lip and tongue ties. He's gained so well because of a hormone driven oversupply which will regulate in about a month. Have a look at the section on ties in our FAQ section. There are links to pictures, articles and a list of reputable providers by state who evaluate and revise ties (clip or laser) if they are present. Chiropractic adjustment and craniosacral therapy are helpful before and after revision. You can gently massage his head, neck and facial muscles at home. You can also try this exercise between feedings: with your little finger, open his mouth and press down on the tip of the tongue and lower jaw, saying "Open". Hold for a moment and release. Repeat, moving further back on the tongue each time, but not so far as to activate the gag reflex.

If you like, take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with it open, under the tongue. We should be able to see if there is something that needs to be evaluated.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2017 at 7:18 PM
Also, you want to Google IBCLC (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant). These are breastfeeding professionals with complete training. Many hospital "LC's" have little or no traning and some have never even breastfed.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 24, 2017 at 11:49 PM
I agree that a tongue tie is really suspicious. a high palate isn't necessarily an issue to a baby with a normally functioning tongue, but when a tongue tied baby get get tgeir tongue to lift up to the palate, let alone a high palate, it can be dooming for breastfeeding.
NearSeattleMom
by on Jul. 25, 2017 at 12:44 AM

I hope it works out.  Let us know!

Quoting Katie_85: Thank you for the reply! I have not consulted a LC yet. I honestly don't even know how to go about finding one. There was one at the hospital I delivered at but she was very rude. I found a Person through your link and I have contacted her, just waiting for her reply. This is my second breastfed baby I don't remember it being this painful 😞
Quoting NearSeattleMom:

Katie_85
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 12:09 PM
I've added a picture of both his tongue and lip

Quoting MusherMaggie: Sounds like lip and tongue ties. He's gained so well because of a hormone driven oversupply which will regulate in about a month. Have a look at the section on ties in our FAQ section. There are links to pictures, articles and a list of reputable providers by state who evaluate and revise ties (clip or laser) if they are present. Chiropractic adjustment and craniosacral therapy are helpful before and after revision. You can gently massage his head, neck and facial muscles at home. You can also try this exercise between feedings: with your little finger, open his mouth and press down on the tip of the tongue and lower jaw, saying "Open". Hold for a moment and release. Repeat, moving further back on the tongue each time, but not so far as to activate the gag reflex.

If you like, take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with it open, under the tongue. We should be able to see if there is something that needs to be evaluated.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 4:31 PM
Yes, there appear to be ties. Have you looked through the post on ties in our FAQ section?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Katie_85
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2017 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes ma'am I have. very informative. I'm calling around tomorrow to find someone who will fix it.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Yes, there appear to be ties. Have you lioked through the post on ties in our FAQ section?
Katie_85
by New Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 9:40 AM
Can anyone tell me if it's normal for a tongue tied baby to still gain weight like normal? I took him for his 4 month check up yesterday and was 16.14 his pediatrician said his tongue looked tight so next week I'm taking him to a pediatric dentist for a consult. I guess I'm just wondering if I need to explore other option such as maybe I am latching him wrong and just didn't realize and it's causing so much soreness, since he is gaining weight so good.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)