Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Refusing Bottle At Daycare

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2017 at 12:16 PM
  • 22 Replies

DS is 5 months old and started daycare full time on Monday.  We are on day three, and the most his teachers can get him to drink is 2-4 ounces in a 10 hour day.  I nurse him in the morning before we leave, again at 6PM and again at bedtime (7PM).  He sleeps through the night until I wake him for the first feed in the morning.  I prepare 5, two ounce servings in both bottles and sippy cups in case he prefers one over the other.  At home he prefers the cup, but the teachers think he does better with the bottles, so I send both so they have options. 

He has just gone down for a nap and they told me he hasn't had a wet diaper yet today.  However, I changed a blow-out poopy diaper 5 hours ago. Up until today, he would have 4 wets at daycare and I change him when he wakes and goes to bed for a total of around 6/day.  It appears he's getting enough, but I still worry.  Two questions:

1.  Should I be concerned? If so, what should I do?

2.  Will he ever take his milk (cup or bottle) at daycare? My older son never took a bottle, but would at least take a cup. I am now in uncharted territory.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Aug. 17, 2017 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LalasMommy1125
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 12:51 PM
My daughter did this as well. I ended up feeding her in the morning at daycare then coming back during my lunch break and made sure to nurse her before I left daycare to drive home. She is a strong willed kiddo 😁 Sorry I don't have more advice!
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:34 PM

Quoting LalasMommy1125: My daughter did this as well. I ended up feeding her in the morning at daycare then coming back during my lunch break and made sure to nurse her before I left daycare to drive home. She is a strong willed kiddo 😁 Sorry I don't have more advice!

I would do that too except that I work too far away to be able to do that.  :(

How old was she and did you ever stop having to do that?

LalasMommy1125
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
This was when she was about 3 months old. She finally started taking a bottle around 6 months, we just kept offering it and changing the nipple type until she found one she liked.

Quoting levansbx:

Quoting LalasMommy1125: My daughter did this as well. I ended up feeding her in the morning at daycare then coming back during my lunch break and made sure to nurse her before I left daycare to drive home. She is a strong willed kiddo 😁 Sorry I don't have more advice!

I would do that too except that I work too far away to be able to do that.  :(

How old was she and did you ever stop having to do that?

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 2:59 AM
Can you offer to nurse more in the evening?
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 1:47 PM
I wroke him to nurse right before I went to bed and that made me feel a little better. But will he ever take his bottles at daycare?

Quoting MusherMaggie: Can you offer to nurse more in the evening?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 4:27 PM
Quoting levansbx: I wroke him to nurse right before I went to bed and that made me feel a little better. But will he ever take his bottles at daycare?

He may do better with a sippy cup with the spill proof valve removed. Caregiver tips, he sips. If he is teething, this may be playing into the situation. Are the daycare personnel wanting him to hold the bottle and feed himself?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2017 at 1:30 PM

Mobile Photo

I have been using these sippy cups which he likes to use at home and there isn't a spill proof valve. It's designed for 4m+. I don't think they are wanting him to hold it himself. They usually take the handles off. They try bringing him into a separate quiet room and that doesn't work either.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting levansbx: I wroke him to nurse right before I went to bed and that made me feel a little better. But will he ever take his bottles at daycare?

He may do better with a sippy cup with the spill proof valve removed. Caregiver tips, he sips. If he is teething, this may be playing into the situation. Are the daycare personnel wanting him to hold the bottle and feed himself?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 12:37 AM
He may be reverse cycling, preferring to wait until he is with you. I would let him sleep close to you at night, so yoy can nurse him with minimal disturbance.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 9:16 AM
I was thinking this would happen. Do you think this how is going to be for the next seven months or do you think he'll get used to drinking milk from someone other than me?

Quoting MusherMaggie: He may be reverse cycling, preferring to wait until he is with you. I would let him sleep close to you at night, so yoy can nurse him with monimal disturbance.
pooh2you1985
by Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
One stop sending in the bottles glue the handles on his cup and they will leave them on. Their is no reason for them to take them off or to hold the cup for him if he likes to hold it on his own. They are holding it for him so he will drink fast and be done, instead of at his own speed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)