Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Increase in nursing, any insight?

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2017 at 3:35 AM
  • 4 Replies

My daughter is 16 months old. She's been breastfed since birth. She's always woken up once or twice at night to nurse, and nursed a few times throughout the day, but for the last week or so, her nursing has increased exponentially, during the day and at night. She just went through a growth spurt recently, and even then her behavior was never like this. She isn't teething. 

Then this past weekend, I worked a lot of hours, when I normally only work a few shifts a month. My husband was home, and he said that she spent most of the time I was gone, crying and asking for me. I'm thinking more that it's not nursing related, that it's some kind of odd attachment thing, but neither of my other kids ever did this, and I'm not sure how to handle it. She's always been a very independent kid, and nothing has really changed (this behavior started before I was gone so long over the weekend) so her suddenly not wanting to budge from my side is strange. The only thing that has really changed is that i"m pregnant, but I'm already 13 weeks along, so it's not exactly that new, though we did only find out around 11 weeks. I'm just a little worried about the sudden change in her behavior, and I'm so tired because she's waking up so often at night. I don't want to force her to wean or reject her need to be closer, but I'm at a loss right now as to how to deal with this. Any tips or insight into her behavior? Any idea how long it might last? 

by on Sep. 13, 2017 at 3:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 8:44 AM
It isn't odd for children to be attached to their parents. With having bern working extra time and a newly "discovered" pregnancy, I would be worried if she wasn't acting like this. She is also still very young. At that age, I still go with the flow--nursing is a lot more than food. It's a way to connect with you when you've been away.

Eighteen months is kind of a watershed for lots of babies. There is more cognitive and language development, and more motor skills as well. Lots of babies who haven't before begin to sleep through the night a little more reliably. As your pregnancy progresses and your milk dries up, she will likely want to nurse less, but will need attention in other ways--playing, reading, art, etc. She may or may not come back to nursing when your baby is born. I did tandem nurse for quite a while, and my son and daughter have a really tight bond to this day.

Her behavior is very typical of intelligent children. They are much more aware of things and more affected by them than we realize sometimes!
heart_n_soul
by New Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 8:47 AM
But a sudden and unprovoked increase in attachment? This started before I left to work so much. And she doesn't know I'm pregnant, none of our kids do.

I nursed my 3 year old all throughout NY pregnancy with her and never dried up, so hopefully that will be the case again. I really do hope she starts to sleep at least more if not all night, because the constant waking up is killing me.

Quoting MusherMaggie: It isn't odd for children to be attached to their parents. With having bern working extra time and a newly "discovered" pregnancy, I would be worried if she wasn't acting like this. She is also still very young. At that age, I still go with the flow--nursing is a lot more than food. It's a way to connect with you when you've been away.

Eighteen months is kind of a watershed for lots of babies. There is more cognitive and language development, and more motor skills as well. Lots of babies who haven't before begin to sleep through the night a little more reliably. As your pregnancy progresses and your milk dries up, she will likely want to nurse less, but will need attention in other ways--playing, reading, art, etc. She may or may not come back to nursing when your baby is born. I did tandem nurse for quite a while, and my son and daughter have a really tight bond to this day.

Her behavior is very typical of intelligent children. They are much more aware of things and more affected by them than we realize sometimes!
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2017 at 8:50 AM
They onow more than we think, without being told. She could also be on the verge of another developmental milestone. All kinds of things can provoke increased nursing, and we may not always be aware of them.
heart_n_soul
by New Member on Sep. 14, 2017 at 9:40 AM

Quoting MusherMaggie: They onow more than we think, without being told. She could also be on the verge of another developmental milestone. All kinds of things can provoke increased nursing, and we may not always be aware of them.

True. I just hope it ends soon! I need sleep!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)