Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cluster feeding all night, sore nipples

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:30 AM
  • 10 Replies
Hello,
Little miss is 18 days old and currently cluster feeds all night with very few breaks.
It feels as though she slips off my large nipples and kind of chews on one side or something causeing sore nipples.
The LC said her latch is good and she is gaining weight.
Just wondering if there's anything I can do to ease the pain.
by on Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:31 PM
Take a picture of her mouth with the top lip turned up and one with it open, under the tongue. She may have lip and tongue ties which this LC may not know how to spot, especially if she is not an IBCLC (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant). She is gaining well because right now you have a hormone driven oversupply. There is no way an LC can tell if her latch is good just by looking from the outside.

Try this exercise between feedings: with your little finger, open her mouth and press down on the tip of the tongue and lower jaw, saying "Open". Hold for a moment and release. Repeat, moving further back on the tongue each time, but not so far as to activate the gag reflex. Have a look at the post on ties in our FAQ section. There are links to pictures, articles and a list of reputable providers by state who evaluate and revise ties if they are present.

Use lanolin religiously on your nipples. Be sure her latch feels right every time. If it isn't, unlatch and relatch her. Google "Find an IBCLC".
Mickey85
by New Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:08 PM

Mobile Photo

Mickey85
by New Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:08 PM

Mobile Photo

Mickey85
by New Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:10 PM

Mobile Photo

We don't like mummy trying to get pics
Mickey85
by New Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:04 PM

Mobile Photo

Mickey85
by New Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:05 PM
It doesn't look like she has a lip tie, not a great pic tho. I'm actually wondering if we have thrush
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2017 at 2:27 AM
The cupped shape of the tongue, particularly in the top picture, suggests a tie. I can't see around your thumb to tell if there might be a lip tie. I would definitely have her evaluated by one of the providers on our list. There is also the Tongue Tied Babies group on Facebook which has a wealth of information.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 17, 2017 at 4:10 PM
Quoting Mickey85:

Mobile Photo

We don't like mummy trying to get pics

That white coating on her tongue looks like thrush. Does it wipe off, if not it's likely thrush.
Mickey85
by New Member on Sep. 17, 2017 at 7:54 PM
It does wipe off but I'm keeping a close eye on it as I had a chest infection when I had her so had 10 days of antibiotics.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2017 at 1:41 AM
Yes, after being on antibiotics, thrush is definitely a possibility. Look up Thrush on Kellymom.com. All the best remedies and procedures are listed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)