Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spitting up

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 12:35 PM
  • 7 Replies
My little guy will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. He rarely spits up and when he does it's a very small amount. Well, this am he had a large spit up and then again after 2 times when I fed him. He seems a bit fussy today too. I've had him in my wrap most of the day.
Could it have been something I ate? Or maybe overactive letdown? I try to recline nurse but sometimes can't if I'm not able to sit down to do that. I did nurse him laying down in bed for the first time this am. Could it have been that? I usually sit up in bed and have him nurse belly to belly while I'm in bed. I've always been too nervous to try laying down. This am I was awake and just relaxed while he nursed.
by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this
How did he seem afterward? Sometimes they just get a big air bubble under what they've drunk, and it's nothing to worry about. Did you eat anything you haven't always eaten? Or eat a lot of something? If he didn't seem to be in pain, he may have just been really full.
Luke8212013
by Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 2:36 PM
He was pretty fussy and he passed a lot of gas and had a large poop. But, finally fell asleep and has been sleeping soundly since. I did eat tuna fish on crackers yesterday which I haven't eaten lately. Otherwise nothing out of the ordinary.
Sometimes, I think I'm still having some trouble reading him. I've been feeding him on demand- but sometimes I wonder if I jump to feed him too quickly? Could I have fed him too soon? He wouldn't of eaten if he wasn't hungry, right?

Quoting MusherMaggie: How did he seem afterward? Sometimes they just get a big air bubble under what they've drunk, and it's nothing to worry about. Did you eat anything you haven't always eaten? Or eat a lot of something? If he didn't seem to be in pain, he may have just been really full.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 10:48 PM
He may want to comfort suck at times, but if you have overactive letdown and oversupply, he may get more than he was bargaining for. If his diaper count is good and he has recently eaten, judicious use of a pacifier may be warranted in this situation. You may want to look up block feeding on Kellymom.com to see if that looks like a reasonable option. We don’t usually recommend block feeding quite this soon, but again, it may be warranted in your situation. I would wait a few days and avoid the tuna to see if that might have been the culprit.
Luke8212013
by Member on Sep. 22, 2017 at 9:07 AM
So, I have tried to offer a pacifier he completely refuses which is totally fine with me. He has tried to find his thumb but hasn't gotten the hang of keeping it in.
I did look up why you suggested- I'll consider it, I'll wait a few days and see what happens. We went all night without any problems and after this mornings feeding he had another large spitup- even came out of his nose 😟
But after he's been his pleasant self.

Quoting MusherMaggie: He may want to comfort suck at times, but if you have overactive letdown and oversupply, he may get more than he was bargaining for. If his diaper count is good and he has recently eaten, judicious use of a pacifier may be warranted in this situation. You may want to look up block feeding on Kellymom.com to see if that looks like a reasonable option. We don’t usually recommend block feeding quite this soon, but again, it may be warranted in your situation. I would wait a few days and avoid the tuna to see if that might have been the culprit.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 22, 2017 at 11:47 AM
I think it's an OAL/OS issue. Once you supply regulates, he should be fine. Just for drill: was he checked for lip and tongue ties?
Luke8212013
by Member on Sep. 22, 2017 at 1:27 PM

Mobile Photo

I think you may be right- it does make sense.
He was- once at the hospital by the LC and also by his pediatrician. We really haven't had any problems latching or discomfort. My only thing I notice him doing- which when I was reading about block feeding and reasons why you would do it- makes sense. Is latching on and off, he clamps down during feedings sometimes and he does choke and sputter. So- I guess that's my answer.
And for whatever reason he is taking a paci today- maybe since it's been a few days since I tried offering it. And we've not had any spit up since this am.
And look at that belly!! He's growing for sure!!

Quoting MusherMaggie: I think it's an OAL/OS issue. Once you supply regulates, he should be fine. Just for drill: was he checked for lip and tongue ties?
Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 11:07 PM
Yep oal! I have it and my twins are "happy spitters" meaning they spit up constantly but no pain. It's more of an annoyance really and has slowed a lot. They are 4 months. He's adorable!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)