Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2017 at 9:32 AM
  • 4 Replies
Ok, so I have a OAL.. over active letdown.
Was wondering if I pumped until letdown and then let baby nurse if the milk i pump would be ok to give baby later on? Cuz it would mostly be the foremilk.. which is basically water. Didn’t know if it would be good, or if I should pump more of hindmilk later and add to it.
by on Sep. 23, 2017 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 11:07 AM
Pumping will make the ovetactive letdown and oversupply worse. The foremilk/hindmilk element is not as important as was once thought. Try using only one side per feeding. If that first letdown is to strong, catch it in a towel when she unlatches,and then relatch her. Reclined nursing will help: you lean back, and she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. You can hand express just a bit from the unused side to relieve discomfort.

Another technique is to pump youself out fully once in the morning before you feed her. You only do this once a day. And yes, you can save that milk for later.

For more tips, look up overactive letdown and oversupply, and block feeding on Kellymom.com.
Firstcamelove
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 7:53 PM
Thanks for all the info.
I do already catch a bunch of milk when letdown is happening, and do recline a bit nursing.
With my first born I was on this site ALL the time 😋 So I know alot of ins n outs about pumping/nursing.
I used to only pump once in the morning, every so often. I found if i pumped later in day it would totally mess me up and make me engorged next day.

At nights my ds2 is only eating 1 side then passes out... haha no waking him either! Lol
And I cant seem to wake up early enough where he’s still sleeping, for me to pump before he’s hungry. But I’ll figure it out 🙂
He’s only 3 1/2 weeks old, no rush for filling my freezer, just hate wasting milk that soaks into my nursing pads! Haha

Quoting MusherMaggie: Pumping will make the ovetactive letdown and oversupply worse. The foremilk/hindmilk element is not as important as was once thought. Try using only one side per feeding. If that first letdown is to strong, catch it in a towel when she unlatches,and then relatch her. Reclined nursing will help: you lean back, and she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. You can hand express just a bit from the unused side to relieve discomfort.

Another technique is to pump youself out fully once in the morning before you feed her. You only do this once a day. And yes, you can save that milk for later.

For more tips, look up overactive letdown and oversupply, and block feeding on Kellymom.com.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 9:59 PM
One other thought: look up "galactagogues" on Kellymom.com and see if you may be consuming anything that would increase production.
Firstcamelove
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 4:05 PM
Well I dont have oversupply, my boobs feel normal so I know my milk has regulated to baby at the moment... My letdown is just super strong.

Quoting MusherMaggie: One other thought: look up "galactagogues" on Kellymom.com and see if you may be consuming anything that would increase production.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)