Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overactive let-down

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 8:30 AM
  • 1 Replies
Hi, I'm new to the group, but not to breastfeeding. I nursed twins for 19 months, with many, many ups & downs. I am now nursing our 2 week old and for the past week have had some problems that I believe to be caused by overactive let-down. Baby coughs and gags for the first part of a nursing session. I burp her often, but she still has been spitting up a lot, even if I keep her upright after nursing. She's also had green poop, been very gassy, cries & pulls off often while nursing and gets frustrated.
I've been unlatching her while I feel the let-down (which is quite painful) and hand expressing a bit during the let-down. What else can I do to help her nurse more comfortably? I'm feeling just terrible about her gassy tummy & watching her cry while nursing. I really want us both to enjoy this, I'm feeling pretty bummed out.
by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 12:28 PM
Reclined nursing: you lean back, she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Nursing upright in a sling or wrap, or side-lying to nurse also works. When she beacks off that initial let down, catch the overflow in a towel rather than expressing, as expressing provides additional stimulus that you don't need. As long as her diaper count is good, use only one breast at each feeding. Burp her but put her back on the same side rather than switching. You can express just enough from the unused side to relieve discomfort.

This should resolve in a few weeks once your body realizes that you're not feeding multiples. If necessary, in a few weeks, you can try pumping out completely first thing in the morning before her first feeding, OR using one breast only for two or more feedings before switiching. Again, remember diaper count: in the first six weeks, 6-8 diapers every 24 hours with at least two quarter-sized poops per day. After six weeks, she will go longer between poops, but it should be soft and profuse when it happens.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)