Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you over feed a breastfed baby?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:55 AM
  • 9 Replies
Hey Everyone,
I have an 11w old exclusively breastfed son. I also have a 9 year old daughter but she was sleeping a lot longer at night than my son does so I'm not really sure.

Here's my situation. My son eats every 3 hours at night. He wakes up but doesn't cry. When he wakes, I offer the breast and he eats and goes right back to sleep. I feed on demand during the day so I'm assuming that doing the same at night is ok. He is gaining weight well, 13lbs at his last ped visit. Am I right in assuming he's hungry and should just continue feeding on demand like I am?
Hope my question makes sense, I'm exhausted lol.

Thanks!
by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Feed on demand. The fact you get a 3 hour stretch at 11 weeks makes me super jealous!!!
Stetsons-mommy
by Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 12:08 PM
Do it on demand! I'm jealous too. I think at 11w I was still only getting a about 3 hours a night
LalasMommy1125
by Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM
Ok great! I've forgotten the newborn times with my daughter lol

Quoting Mom2Just1: Feed on demand. The fact you get a 3 hour stretch at 11 weeks makes me super jealous!!!
LalasMommy1125
by Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 12:10 PM
Oh Ok! I guess I'm overthinking it. Thanks!

Quoting Stetsons-mommy: Do it on demand! I'm jealous too. I think at 11w I was still only getting a about 3 hours a night
Stetsons-mommy
by Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Mobile Photo

No problem. It's not like a bottle where it gets pumped down their throat. If they aren't hungry they won't eat. Not sucking = not transferring milk. At least that is what I was told. My son is 2 and he has nursed on demand from day 1. He is not over weight at all.

Quoting LalasMommy1125: Oh Ok! I guess I'm overthinking it. Thanks!

Quoting Stetsons-mommy: Do it on demand! I'm jealous too. I think at 11w I was still only getting a about 3 hours a night
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Do just what you're doing! He is heading into a major growth spurt. When he gets to the end of it, he will have a period of sleeping longer stretches for a bit--that's when the linear growth occurs. You cannot overfeed a breastfed baby at the breast. We see overfeeding sometimes when bottles of breastmilk are being given. What your son is doing is regulating your supply to his needs. That is exactly how breastfeeding works.
LalasMommy1125
by Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM
Thank you!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Do just what you're doing! He is heading into a major growth spurt. When he gets to the end of it, he will have a period of sleeping longer stretches for a bit--that's when the linear growth occurs. You cannot overfeed a breastfed baby at the breast. We see overfeeding sometimes when bottles of breastmilk are being given. What your son is doing is regulating your supply to his needs. That is exactly how breastfeeding works.
LalasMommy1125
by Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 12:26 PM
He's adorable and that's a GIANT pumpkin!

Quoting Stetsons-mommy:

Mobile Photo

No problem. It's not like a bottle where it gets pumped down their throat. If they aren't hungry they won't eat. Not sucking = not transferring milk. At least that is what I was told. My son is 2 and he has nursed on demand from day 1. He is not over weight at all.

Quoting LalasMommy1125: Oh Ok! I guess I'm overthinking it. Thanks!

Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2017 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
you’re doing a great job !! Keep at it !! No they won’t over eat when they are that young and EBF no worries!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)