Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nurse from only one breast?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 3:45 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi ladies!  So I'm due next month with baby #5.  I have never been successful with BFing as my nipples are severely flat.  Has anyone ever nursed from only one breast before? One breast is not nearly as flat as the other and I have always wished I could BF from just that side! I assumed you couldn't just nurse from one side, but could I nurse one side and pump the other side? Problem with that is would I have to also feed her the pumped milk right away to get her enough and therefore start with the nipple confusion right away, endangering the nursing?   Hope that makes sense!

Also-I'm sure some of you will share some tips for flat nipples but I have tried literally everything!  The one thing I haven't tried that I'm doing right now is wearing breast shells for inverted nipples all day every day for the last few months of my pregnancy.  I don't see it doing anything for my crazy flat nipple so far but we'll see.  

Is it possible to nurse one side and pump/bottle feed from the other??  I don't know how to do it without nipple confusion!

If the nursing doesn't work, I do plan to exclusively pump, FYI.

by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Your one breast would make enough for one baby even without pumping the other one. The shells will help, and you should continue to wear them between feedings after your baby is born. If your bsby has no lip or tongue ties,she sgould be able to learn to latch on flat nipples. Support your breast with your opposite hand and squeeze a bit around the areola to shape your nipple. There is a neat little gadget called the Latch Assist that you can also use to draw them out.
Thewife06
by Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 6:46 PM
I was told I couldn't nurse my first due to flat nipples. We did just fine. I always kind of pulled the areola together so my babies had something to latch onto and we worked our way through fine and had a very successful BFing experience.
foodcooppres
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:33 PM

Nipple confusion doesn't always happen.  My daughter had to go back to work after both babies, and she pumped while at work, so they had bottles when she was gone, but the breast when she was home.  Both little guys did fine all the way till weaning.  If all else fails, one breast ought to work, anyway.  I applaud your determination.  God made your milk to be the healthiest option, and there's also something sweet about the closeness of nursing that's emotionally satisfying.  God bless you and your baby.

Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:39 AM
My nipples were flat before I nursed (I never realized it as it never came up) it took a lot of effort to get my first born to latch, but we succeeded with nipped shields and weaned off them. I wish I’d known about the shells instead. After nursing two kids for a combined 3 years they are no longer flat. Hopefully you have success getting past the first few weeks becaus after that time, at least in my experience, I had perma erect nipples!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)