Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

weight gain

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:10 PM
  • 11 Replies
We just had our 6 week check up and Lincoln is 7lb 4oz... he was 7.3 at birth and 7.8 lb at his 2 week check up... help! The Dr wants me to give him formula after he nurses ...

He had a virus and I'm sure that is the source of him dropping. . I have lots of milk... what would you do
by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlackBird_Trppd
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM
I would not supplement with formula. Just keep nursing and see if the Doctor can recheck his weight in a week or so to see if he’s gaining?
-Steph95-
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 6:37 PM
Yes. We have an appointment again Tuesday. . I am hoping if I increase the frequency of his nursing we will be doing better

Quoting BlackBird_Trppd: I would not supplement with formula. Just keep nursing and see if the Doctor can recheck his weight in a week or so to see if he’s gaining?
Luke8212013
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 6:41 PM
I don't know much about this-
Is he having enough wet diapers?
And maybe instead of supplementing with formula could you give him an oz of breast milk after you nurse? (This may not be a good idea but if rather do that then give formula, especially since you said you're making enough)
Stetsons-mommy
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 6:56 PM
I would just keep nursing on demand. Give it a little more time and see what he has gained on Tuesday. If he was sick that is most likely why he hasn't gained.
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:02 PM

I would see an IBCLC and have baby checked for ties first off. In the meantime, if his diaper count is good, I would just nurse nurse nurse. Offer the breast as often as possible. If his diaper count isn't good, I would supplement with breastmilk.

-Steph95-
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:50 PM
Thanks ladies. His diaper count is perfectly fine, I was just talking to my mom and she said my brother and myself always did the same thing
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 7:47 AM
Has he been checked for lip and tongue ties? Eas je jaundiced at birth? Is he having at least two quarter sized poops every day?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

-Steph95-
by New Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 7:57 AM
No lip or tongue tie, he did have a very slight case of jaundice- he didn't need to be under the light at all it cleared up in a couple days. He poops usually 1-2 times, sometimes more and it's always way more than quarter size lol! And he has plenty of wet diapers.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Has he been checked for lip and tongue ties? Eas je jaundiced at birth? Is he having at least two quarter sized poops every day?
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:26 AM

I bet he lost weight because of the virus he had. My kids lose weight when sick. If diaper count is good then no formula needed.  My daughter never followed the typical breastfeed baby weight gain. She gained, just slowly, and has always stayed on the same 2% growth curve. Her dr never was concerned.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:09 PM
Quoting -Steph95-: No lip or tongue tie, he did have a very slight case of jaundice- he didn't need to be under the light at all it cleared up in a couple days. He poops usually 1-2 times, sometimes more and it's always way more than quarter size lol! And he has plenty of wet diapers.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Has he been checked for lip and tongue ties? Eas je jaundiced at birth? Is he having at least two quarter sized poops every day?

Then he's just fine. I would skip the appointment next Tuesday if it's only for a weight check. If you can, get in bed with him and nurse at every wiggle for a day or two. Carry him in a wrap or sling so he has unlimited access to the breast while you tend to other things. Be sure you're staying hydrated as well. If you like, take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with it open, under the tongue. We can double check for anything that suggests a tie. Sometimes they get missed if they are posterior or sub-mucosal (very deep).

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)