Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She doesn’t stop nursing :/

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 6:10 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this
Baby girl is 3 weeks and she eats and eats and eats. I feel like she’s not getting full. After she dozes off and I put her down she is awake again and fussing to eat within an hr. I thought I had an over abundant supply last week so i did the block feeding method for about 2 days and then went back to feeding on one side and then the other side the next feeding time. The last few days though she doesn’t seem to get full and she’s pretty unhappy unless she’s latched on to me and I’m having to switch to the other breast after she’s done with the first side, and she still does not seem satisfied and full. How do I know if I’m making enough milk for her? Do I just let her stay on, I’m exhausted, I can’t even shower or cook because she doesn’t wanna be put down, help!
by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ColieO
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
If she's having plenty of wet diapers, she's getting enough.

At 3 weeks your supply is still regulating. Baby may also be cluster feeding, going through a growth spurt or trying to figure out what schedule she wants.
BlackBird_Trppd
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 6:56 PM
Ok, yeah she has tons of wet diapers so that’s reassuring, cluster feeding, is it standard for her to want to eat 24/7!?!?

Quoting ColieO: If she's having plenty of wet diapers, she's getting enough.

At 3 weeks your supply is still regulating. Baby may also be cluster feeding, going through a growth spurt or trying to figure out what schedule she wants.
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 6:58 PM

3 weeks is a HUGE growth spurt. As long as diapers are good, I wouldn't worry. All of mine were on the breast all the time at that age.

ColieO
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:00 PM
Yup. It's how your supply is regulated. It usually takes 6-8 weeks to really get it down.

Quoting BlackBird_Trppd: Ok, yeah she has tons of wet diapers so that’s reassuring, cluster feeding, is it standard for her to want to eat 24/7!?!?

Quoting ColieO: If she's having plenty of wet diapers, she's getting enough.

Sophie1106
by Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:13 PM
Yep that sounds about right. I pretty much nursed my baby girl 24/7 for the first 6 weeks. She's 10 weeks now and doesn't nurse as often.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 7:51 AM
Three weeks is the first major growth spurt. The more she nurses, the more you make. Do not restrict her nursing in any way. Wear her in a sling or wrap. If she is going through six to eight diapers every twenty-four hours with at least two quarter sized poops every day, she is getting enough. All this being said, has she been checked for lip and tongue ties?
kgbm13
by Member on Oct. 21, 2017 at 3:33 PM

As other have said cluster feeding.  My daughter would go on for hours every evening. For what seemed like forever.  You will get a few of these huge growths along the way and then start questioning is Baby getting enough when they ar distracted and won’t feed.  It’s all normal.  And as long as Baby is growing vs loosing or falling behind at visits you are good to go.  We are two years into our breastfeeding journey.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)