Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with milk supply!

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2017 at 9:40 AM
  • 2 Replies

My little one is almost 10 months old!  He has been exclusively breast fed and my goal was to nurse until he was 1 year, almost there!  But we are hitting a little speed bump...  My milk supply has dropped significantly and i can't seem to pinpoint the reason why.  Some thoughts are...

1.  I have the nexplanon implant for birth control in my arm.  Doc said that I could experience spotting with this but because I am nursing, i probably will not menstrate at all.  Well he was wrong, my body must not be agreeing with the implant.  I have my period for about a week and them i'm off for about a week with spotting in between.  So it feels like it never stops!  I have read that when you start menstrating, this can slow down your milk production.  I'm thinking this could be a reason.

2.  I had 1 week at work where I had to work extra hours to get a day off so I was only able to pump twice instead of my normal 3 sessions during the day.  Could switching up my schedule for just a week affect my milk this much?

My little one drinks 3-4 4-5 oz bottles a day while he is at daycare (from 8-5).  I'm only able to pump about 2-2.5 bottles a day.  I had always been able to keep up in the past as it is very easy for me to pump 3 times a day at work.  I did end up buying forumla last night and brought with to daycare this morning so he could have 1 bottle of that a day in place of breastmilk, since this last week has taken a hit on our frozen supply.

Any tips on what I can do to get my supply back up for these last 2 months?  I'm really determined to make this happen and maybe we can eliminate the formula after a week or so!

by on Nov. 7, 2017 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2017 at 2:56 PM
The bottles are too large. He only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. When he is with you, he should have unrestricted access to the breast, including at night if he wakes. At this point, he should not be offered solids until after he's had his breastmilk.

Pump every morning, working or not, before,during or after the first morning feeding. Try not to use the formula unless it is an absolute necessity. The smaller bottles should help. Is he on any solids at all? Mine were eating chopped or shredded meat at that age, and anything else they could stuff in their mouths. He may be a little fussy getting used to the smaller bottles, but he will adjust.

Be sure they are using the paced bottlefeeding technique at daycare: baby held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows his brain to register that his tummy is full and prevents overfeeding, preserving your supply. Slways use the slowest flow newborn nipple. The idea is that he gets just enough by bottle to tie him over, but gets most of his milk by nursing.
kidmom581
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I am nursing and pumping during work and noticed an increase in milk supply after using Healthy nursing tea and after a week (increasing to 2 packets a day) I was getting additional 1-2 oz each time I pumped. I didn't mind the taste, however it does have some bitterness. I was also pleased that this product did not upset my stomach like others that I have tried to increase my milk supply.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)