Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

12 month old only wants breast milk

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2017 at 2:45 AM
  • 5 Replies
My 12 month old only wants breast milk. He eats very little table food. 2 months ago he stopped gaining weight. Nov. 1st he was 16lbs 9oz. I have another appointment at the end of the month to check weight. He was born at 35 weeks and weighted 4lbs 15oz. Lowest weight was 4lbs 5 oz. I feel like maybe he's not gaining because he started being more active. 2 months ago he started crawling and he loves chasing his sisters around the living room. A couple of weeks ago he started walking while holding the couch. He's really happy and seems healthy but his doctor tells me to put olive oil in his food, give him Pediasure and give him really fatty foods like French fries. I haven't done any of that because I don't agree with her.
In January he'll have Kaiser Permanente so I'm not going to change doctors right now. What do you guys think. Should I be worried about his weight? He's my only one that I've breastfed this long.
by on Nov. 15, 2017 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2017 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this
He's fine. Because he was born a month early, breastmilk can still be his main and major source of calories for another month. Allow him unrestricted access to the breast. Offer small pieces of whatever you're having after a full nursing session. His gain has slowed down due to greater activity, as you surmised. Be sure he is nursing enough during the day. No cereals or purees--they are not nutritionally dense enough. You don't have to feed him junk like french fries. Try pieces of peeled avocado, chopped or shredded meat, soft fruit like mandarin oranges with chicken (good for his iron level). Your milk is still the best thing he could be having. His weight is on target. In an average baby, we look for an average gain on one pound per month from the lowest weight after birth.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

maggier89
by on Nov. 15, 2017 at 6:15 PM
Thanks. The only issue I'm having with him is nursing during the day. He would rather play with his sisters then eat and I can't nurse him in the room because my oldest daughter has special needs and would go crazy if left alone. He nurses 2x at night and for a really long time. Sometimes I have to pump and give a bottle.

Quoting MusherMaggie: He's fine. Because he was born a month early, breastmilk can still be his main and major source of calories for another month. Allow him unrestricted access to the breast. Offer small pieces of whatever you're having after a full nursing session. His gain has slowed down due to greater activity, as you surmised. Be sure he is nursing enough during the day. No cereals or purees--they are not nutritionally dense enough. You don't have to feed him junk like french fries. Try pieces of peeled avocado, chopped or shredded meat, soft fruit like mandarin oranges with chicken (good for his iron level). Your milk is still the best thing he could be having. His weight is on target. In an average baby, we look for an average gain on one pound per month from the lowest weight after birth.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2017 at 9:44 PM
What will he do for you early in the morning, just before you have to get up? Can you bring your eldest daughter into the room with you to get him to nurse through the day? I'm kind of grasping at straws, I know.
maggier89
by on Nov. 15, 2017 at 10:35 PM
He nurses and that's the longest he'll nurse the whole day(about 30-40 min) because it's quiet and he's really hungry(he'll sleep about 6 hours). If he hears his sister he stops and wants to play. Times that I am able to take him to the room he still won't eat long(5-10) because he hears her or is angry that his sister's aren't around.

Quoting MusherMaggie: What will he do for you early in the morning, just before you have to get up? Can you bring your eldest daughter into the room with you to get him to nurse through the day? I'm kind of grasping at straws, I know.
goatmom4
by Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 2:06 AM
Keep nursing u could actually put tastes of food on the Brest then he gets extra tastes but I would let him finger play with food it will end up in his mouth my kids loved sweet potatoes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)