Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have to stop breastfeeding for 11 days...

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 7:23 PM
  • 4 Replies

...because I have an infected cyst on my neck and I have to take bactrim. :-( I'm very upset about this. We are "breast sleepers" so I don't know how this is going to work. My baby is 4 months. I've been on cephalexin for 6 days and it's not helped at all. So I guess I don't have any other choice but to pump and dump and give my daughter formula. This really sucks. 

by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 7:50 PM
No, you actually don't. Bactrim is not harmful to your baby, and very little passes into breastmilk. Most doctors tell nursing mothers stuff like this because they don't know and they have to cover their you-know-whats. You can call Dr. Thomas Hale's Infant Risk Hotline at 1-806-352-2519 to confirm this.
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Nov. 21, 2017 at 7:50 PM
Lactmed indicates that bactrim is safe while breastfeeding a healthy infant past the newborn stage- you could call the infant risk hotline to get the most up to date information though 😊
PrettyWings29
by New Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:12 PM

Really? Thank you so much!! 

Quoting MusherMaggie: No, you actually don't. Bactrim is not harmful to your baby, and very little passes into breastmilk. Most doctors tell nursing mothers stuff like this because they don't know and they have to cover their you-know-whats. You can call Dr. Thomas Hale's Infant Risk Hotline at 1-806-352-2519 to confirm this.

PrettyWings29
by New Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:13 PM

Thank you so much!!! 

Quoting TiffanyMarie80: Lactmed indicates that bactrim is safe while breastfeeding a healthy infant past the newborn stage- you could call the infant risk hotline to get the most up to date information though 😊

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)