Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! My milk supply has dropped

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2017 at 8:35 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hi ladies, I just noticed my milk supply dropping the past couple of weeks.. my baby doesn’t suck long on my breasts and then he gets fussy and whines while sucking. So I’ve been feeding him a bottle once a day.. it’s usually around night time he wants more milk than I’m providing.. this all started when I would have a few drinks and then formula feed him. Now my supply hasn’t been the same. Any suggestions on how to increase my supply??
by on Nov. 28, 2017 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2017 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this
Stop the formula and bottles, and let him nurse as often and as long as he wants. The more you nurse, the more you make. Massage your breasts before and during nursing to move things along for him. He is likely in a growth spurt, which can account for the fussiness. Is he going through at least 6-8 diapers evey 24 hours, with soft profuse poop when it happens?
Ash452345
by Member on Nov. 29, 2017 at 2:37 PM
I don’t want to starve him hun.. I have been massaging them while I feed him. I keep him latched on my breast for awhile and then after I squeeze my nipple and nothing comes out, I made him a bottle and he gulps it down so fast! 😓 he’s only been pooping once or twice a day.. he pees a lot though! Every couple of hours he has a wet pee diaper

Quoting MusherMaggie: Stop the formula and bottles, and let him nurse as often and as long as he wants. The more you nurse, the more you make. Massage your breasts before and during nursing to move things along for him. He is likely in a growth spurt, which can account for the fussiness. Is he going through at least 6-8 diapers evey 24 hours, with soft profuse poop when it happens?
poosey08
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2017 at 3:07 PM
Nurse him often and your supply will come right back. Drink plenty of fluids. Mothers milk tea also helps a lot.

Quoting Ash452345: I don’t want to starve him hun.. I have been massaging them while I feed him. I keep him latched on my breast for awhile and then after I squeeze my nipple and nothing comes out, I made him a bottle and he gulps it down so fast! 😓 he’s only been pooping once or twice a day.. he pees a lot though! Every couple of hours he has a wet pee diaper

Quoting MusherMaggie: Stop the formula and bottles, and let him nurse as often and as long as he wants. The more you nurse, the more you make. Massage your breasts before and during nursing to move things along for him. He is likely in a growth spurt, which can account for the fussiness. Is he going through at least 6-8 diapers evey 24 hours, with soft profuse poop when it happens?
Ash452345
by Member on Nov. 29, 2017 at 3:13 PM
Thank you. I have been nursing him constantly to build my supply back up

Quoting poosey08: Nurse him often and your supply will come right back. Drink plenty of fluids. Mothers milk tea also helps a lot.

Quoting Ash452345: I don’t want to starve him hun.. I have been massaging them while I feed him. I keep him latched on my breast for awhile and then after I squeeze my nipple and nothing comes out, I made him a bottle and he gulps it down so fast! 😓 he’s only been pooping once or twice a day.. he pees a lot though! Every couple of hours he has a wet pee diaper

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Nov. 30, 2017 at 12:23 AM
How old is he? Unless you're stoned drunk, you can nurse him while or after drinking alcohol.
Ash452345
by Member on Nov. 30, 2017 at 1:24 AM
He’s 4 months old.

Quoting Junebaby18: How old is he? Unless you're stoned drunk, you can nurse him while or after drinking alcohol.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2017 at 9:37 PM
He has plenty of diapers. Your supply has regulated. That's normal. You're not starving him. What you can squeeze out after he nurses has no bearing on what he is able to pull down himself. Just nurse him as often and as long as he wants. The more you nurse, the more you make. You probably had an oversupply to start with. He scarfs the bottle down because he doesn't have to work for it. Alcohol doesn't reduce your supply. Bottles and formula do.
kidmom581
by Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 2:47 PM
This is the second time I use Healthy nursing tea. I had milk supply issues with my first baby and this tea really helped to boost milk production. Luckily, there are no issues with milk production with my second baby, but I use the tea to increase milk production so that I could build my milk stash for when I go back to work. It really works and tastes great!
XandraEdmonds
by Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 10:00 PM

Just don't give up. Breastfeeding is far more beneficial. I had the same problem, but eventually found this website whose products was a lifesaver,, 

BreastfeedingIncreaseMilk.com

Also keep pumping and don't get stressed out.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 1:31 AM
If his diaper count is good, giving bottles will sabotage your efforts. Babies cry for all sorts of reasons.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)