Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Milk supply issues

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2017 at 8:15 AM
  • 10 Replies
So would anyone have an idea why my milk supply is almost non existent in the middle of the night. In the beginning it was great and I could get a lot out while pumping and still feed my baby. But now My baby is 5 weeks old and many times during the night will continuously feed and get angry because literally nothing comes out. I also don’t feel my breasts getting as full as they used to. I lost my supply with my previous child 9 months into BF which caused weight issues and I’m afraid it will happen again..... any advise? I have tried mothers milk and made the breastfeeding cookies and I have talked with a lactation consultant and she wasn’t any help.
by on Dec. 8, 2017 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Breastmilk naturally regulates. Is your baby allowed free access to the breast at all times? Is the baby going through a minimum of six to eight diapers every twenty-four hours with at least two quarter-sized poops per day?

Another important thing to check for is lip and tongue ties. If you will take a picture of your baby’s mouth with the top lip turned up and one with it open, under the tongue, we should be able to see if there is something that needs to be evaluated. Ties affect the baby's ability to transfer milk from the breast, but can be easily corrected by a properly trained pediatric dentist or ENT. For more on this, see the post on ties in our FAQ section. There are links to pictures, articles and a list of reputable providers by state who evaluate and revise ties.

Also, pump output does not reflect supply accurately. The best pump is only 50% as efficient as a properly suckling baby.

Normal pump output for a missed feeding is .5-2 ounces from both breasts combined per 15 minute pumping session.

Continuous feeding is normal for a baby in a growth spurt. The more baby nurses, the more you make. Does the baby wet or soil diapers at night? If so, milk is going in.

Lastly, have you started any hormonal birth control? Estrogen based birth control will shut down supply.

What you describe happening with your first child often happens when too many solids are given too soon. Breastmilk should be a baby's main and major source of calories through the first birthday. During the first year, solids should be offered only after a full nursing session. They don't have to be offered every meal or even every day at that point.

Massaging your breasts before and during nursing or pumping will help with letdown. Wearing your baby in a wrap or sling, skin-to-skin if possible, also stimulates supply. Look up "galactagogues" on Kellymom.com for a list of simple foods that will help your supply.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please feel free to ask more questions. I'm on this forum all the time.
XandraEdmonds
by Member on Dec. 21, 2017 at 4:28 PM

If you're wanting to increase your breast milk supply, then you should check out this site,  BreastfeedingIncreaseMilk.com
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Dec. 22, 2017 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting XandraEdmonds:
  If you're wanting to increase your breast milk supply, then you should check out this site,  BreastfeedingIncreaseMilk.com

This website only promotes using different products and doesn't help anything. Kellymom.com and llli.org are far better at actually HELPING a mother rather than pushing using "stuff".
kidmom581
by Member on Dec. 24, 2017 at 8:57 AM

Healthy nursing tea seems to work great for increasing supply!! And Taste ok! Besides, frequent nursing is the key to establish breast milk supply.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2017 at 9:53 AM
Typical growth spurt behavior. The baby can get more out by nursing than you can by expressing. If the diaper count is good, no worries.
caydensmommy8
by Member on Dec. 27, 2017 at 8:35 AM
Do you drink lots of water? I noticed if I don't drink much my supply isn't as good. So I try to drink 64 fl oz of water a day or more. Plus the mothers milk tea 2-3 times a day and eat lactation cookies like you mentioned in your post. I exclusively pump, as I had to while my daughter was in the NICU. I have tried nursing her several times since she came home, but she only likes the one boob and will only stay on for only 5-10 minutes. When you pump, how long do you do it for? A lactation consultant told me as long as I'm still getting milk out to do it for 30 minutes max. I don't know what other consultants recommend though so I can't speak for them all. Try googling foods that promote milk supply too.
XandraEdmonds
by Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 9:39 PM
oatmeal, fenugreek and pumpkin are known lactation aids

Quoting kidmom581:

Healthy nursing tea seems to work great for increasing supply!! And Taste ok! Besides, frequent nursing is the key to establish breast milk supply.

kidmom581
by Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 3:51 PM

Quoting XandraEdmonds: oatmeal, fenugreek and pumpkin are known lactation aids
Quoting kidmom581:

Of course! These things are good too but, fenugreek makes me & my baby gassy.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 11:33 PM
What is your baby's 24 hour diaper count?
XandraEdmonds
by Member on Jan. 5, 2018 at 4:48 PM
Drinking water is indeed important
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)