Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When to switch to baby food?

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2017 at 1:02 AM
  • 26 Replies
I read an article online and it says usually 6 months start introducing baby food to LO. It also said “or until baby’s show interest in people food” is this true or should I wait until 6 months? My son is constantly watching me eat, he doesn’t take his eyes off of me. He eats ALOT for 4 months old.. when did you ladies start introducing baby food?
by on Dec. 13, 2017 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 2:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Never. And during the first year, solids should never replace a nursing session. When a baby is a minimum of six months old, can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to pick up food and put it in his mouth, give him small pieces of whatever you're having after a full nursing session.
Dani1009
by Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 8:55 AM
With our twins, we waiting until they were 6 months old. At that time solid food was just for fun, to introduce different textures and tastes. So they only had a tablespoon worth, sometimes a bit more or less (most ended up all over their faces anyway!) The more interested in it they became over time, the more they would eat. So they controlled how much they ate as they grew. Around their birthday they were eating small meals with us (they are the same things we were eating). But they still nursed throughout the day and at night.
Rlmori2010
by Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 9:00 AM
I have always waited until they were a little older then 6 months old. But I have known people who started around 4 months, as long as baby can sit upright without assistance. I would honestly wait until 6 months. If you think that just nursing is not fulfilling baby anymore talk to your pediatrician there may be other ways to make sure baby is fulfilled.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2017 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
A healthy baby does not nutritionally need solids until after the first birthday. Breastmilk is superior in every way to baby food. The way to fulfill the baby is to nurse on demand, no matter how often or long that may be. At four months, a baby's gut is still open; any solids offered have the potential to cause allergic reactions and/or leaky gut syndrome which may not manifest until later on. In the old days, babies were not offerred anything but breastmilk until at least nine if not twelve months.

Pediatricians do not study breastfeeding or infant nutrition in medical school. Often, their main source of information in this area comes from pamphlets put out by the baby food/formula companies, who push early solids in order to sell their products. All of the criteria should be met before solids are offered: minimum of six months old, sitting unassisted in a high chair, loss of tongue thrust reflex and the ability to use pincer grasp to to self-feed.

Quoting Rlmori2010: I have always waited until they were a little older then 6 months old. But I have known people who started around 4 months, as long as baby can sit upright without assistance. I would honestly wait until 6 months. If you think that just nursing is not fulfilling baby anymore talk to your pediatrician there may be other ways to make sure baby is fulfilled.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Sophie1106
by Member on Dec. 14, 2017 at 12:33 PM
My baby is 4 months old but we're not starting solids yet. She does show interest in food and she eats a lot too but I still don't think she's ready. Her pediatrician even told us to wait until at least 6 months. So I'm planning to wait until she's 6 months and then seeing if she's ready.
caydensmommy8
by Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:43 AM
From what I have been told its 6 months for breastfed babies. Instead of introducing at 4 months like undid woth my son who was formula fed. But I know plenty of mothers that didn't add baby food to baby's diet til 8 or 9 months. Or even a year.
Stetsons-mommy
by Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 9:00 AM
This!! I did start introducing solids till around 8 months. And even then my son always nursed first and then was offered the solid foods. You don't want to replace your milk with food unless you are done nursing.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Never. And during the first year, solids should never replace a nursing session. When a baby is a minimum of six months old, can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to pick up food and put it in his mouth, give him small pieces of whatever you're having after a full nursing session.
Greenbird15
by Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 9:24 AM

Yeah with dd8 we waited until 6 mos but ds2 it was 4 mos every baby is different-talk to your son's ped. Our son was super interested in food like yours was! He eats a lot and was 3ft tall at his 2yo appt. Dr said he will be at least 6 ft tall. His feet are as big as our dd's were when she was in kindergarten.. I personally think your LO is ready for food. It didn't stop/slow down his nursing btw he actually nursed for 6 mos longer than dd8-he self weaned at 18 1/2 mos.

Greenbird15
by Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 9:25 AM

wait dd weaned at 13 1/2 mos lol so it was 5 mos longer with our son

Greenbird15
by Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 9:27 AM

Do what you think is right btw YOU are the mom. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)