Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Problems With Low Breast Milk Supply?

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2017 at 4:14 PM
  • 6 Replies

Are there any of you that have experienced problems expressing? Is it a common problem you've had or was it unexprected? Did you solve the problem, or just did you resort to bottle feeding instead?

by on Dec. 21, 2017 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 21, 2017 at 4:29 PM
Pump output is not a reliable indicator of supply. The baby's diaper count is the truest indicator. Under six weeks, a baby should go through a minimum of six to eight diapers every twenty-four hours with at least two quarter-sized poops per day. After six weeks, a baby may go a day or more between poops, but it should be soft and profuse when it does happen.

Normal pump output for a missed feeding is .5-2 ounces from both breasts combined per 15 minute pumping session. Any more than that is an indication of oversupply. A baby only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in two to threee ounce portions every two to three hours. Use paced bottlefeeding method:slowest flow newborn nipple always, baby held in a sitting position, bottleparallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows his brain to register that his tummy is full, preventing overfeeding and preserving your supply. The amounts do not change. Bottles should only be used when the mother is separated from the baby; the mother should never be the one to give the bottle.

There are mothers who fully nurse their babies but do not respond at all to a pump. Some mothers hand express. Warm compresses, and massage before and during pumping helps move things along.
kidmom581
by Member on Dec. 24, 2017 at 9:31 AM
Pump frequently for 20 minutes every pumping session. Pump right after feeding your LO. Drink Healthy nursing tea and eat a bowl of oatmeal every morning. You'll see a great difference.
Rlmori2010
by Member on Dec. 24, 2017 at 9:36 AM
I was having that issue not to long ago. I just kept nursing and pumping when he wouldn’t nurse. I bought mothers milk tea and drank it every night with a bowl of oatmeal my supply has increased.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 24, 2017 at 9:45 AM
Xandra, what is your baby's 24 diaper count?
XandraEdmonds
by Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 9:34 PM

It would vary from day to day, but my lactation was definitely low. Luckily I came across this helpful website,,

BreastfeedingIncreaseMilk.com

It helped a bunch!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Xandra, what is your baby's 24 diaper count?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 1:26 AM
Quoting XandraEdmonds: It would vary from day to day, but my lactation was definitely low.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Xandra, what is your baby's 24 diaper count?

Knowing the count is important. A baby a week or more old should go through a minimum of six to eight diapers every twenty-four hours with at least two quarter-sized poops per day. Over six weeks, you may not see poop every day but it should be soft and profuse when it happens. There should be an average gain of four to seven ounces per week.

The more milk that is removed from the breast, the more that will be made. If a baby has lip and tongue ties, the transfer of milk from the breast is affected.

Pump output for a missed feeding is.5-2 ounces from both breasts combined per 15 minute nursing session.

More information is needed to determine exactly what the problem is.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)