Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3rd baby otw and I want to breastfeed so bad!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2018 at 12:30 PM
  • 20 Replies
So I started off a very young mom. 17 years old to be exact. And my aunt brestfed her duaghter and I really liked the idea of it. So after she was born the nurse brought her to me to try this for the first time. It hurt. Bad! And when I told the nurse this she was kind of rude and just said "well it won't hurt if your doing it right" and left. Thanks for the help lady😒. Needless to say after about 24 hours of not being able to figure it out and not getting any help what so ever. I gave up.

With my son, not only was I a bit older but I was in a diffrent state with a different Dr and different hospital and nurses. So again I knew I wanted to breastfeed. Not only is it better for me and my son but it saves so much money. So as soon as he was born we did the skin to skin for an hour before anyone did anything else with either of us. I loved it! The nurses knew I was going to breastfeed and helped so much more then what I got with my daughter. And it wasnt terrible while at the hospital. Still painful but the nurse had told me that there could be some discomfort fpr the first month or so until my niples become tougher and I get used to it. I was able to breastfeed for 1 week. But by the end of that week I was in so much pain feeding him. To the point of stomping the floor and crying while he fed. He seemed fine! But once again I gave up. Feeling lime I had no help to figure it out 😞

Now I live in a very small area of KY. Our closest hospital is about an hour away. And who knows how far away the closest LC is?! I'm literally in BFE KY! Well today I found this group on here and ive read through some post and I am hopeful that many of you can help me prepare for my next little one who is due in Aug! I have 7 months to learn what "let down" means and what a proper latch is. Plus much more as I've seen there is so much more to this then just putting ypur boon in baby's mouth! So anyone with any advise that would like to help me prepare for this please feel free to comment! I'm very determined to breastfeed for no less then the first 6 months of my baby's life! Tyia
by on Jan. 3, 2018 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 1:22 PM
I would suspect that your previous babies had lip and tongue ties. You yourself may have ties, so it's highly likely that this baby will as well. Ties are vertical tissue that restrict the tongue and lips, making for painful latching and inadequate milk transfer from the breast. They are easily diagnosed and revised by a properly trained pediatric dentist or ENT. Look in our FAQ section for a post on ties. There are links to pictures, articles, and a list of reputable providers by state who evaluate and revise ties if they are present. There is also a Tongue Tied Babies group on Facebook with a wealth of information. Take advantage of this and locate a provider ahead of time. It would also benefit your other children and yourself to be evaluated.

Read posts here and on Kellymom.com. Two books: "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from La Leche League. Go to LLLI.org and see if there is a group that meets near you. Meetings are free and it helps to see other mothers nursing in real life. Babies are of course welcome at the meetings. Ask any question that comes to mind. Google "Find an IBCLC" (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant). This is your go-to breastfeeding professional. Most hospital lactation consultants are not certified and do not have complete training or correct information. Doctors do not study breastfeeding or infant nutrition in medical school, so most are not good sources for breastfeeding information or help either. There are a few who do study on their own, but be cautious if the only solution they offer is formula.

Please keep us updated, and welcome!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Momsoftwo93
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 2:10 PM
I had someone else tell me about the lol and tongue ties a few years after trying to breastfeed. No nurse or dr had ever said it to me when I was trying to feed. They just said it wont hurt if I'm doing it right. I will be keeping an update! I googled la lache league and the closest one is a 1 and 1/2 hours away. And IBCLC didnt find anything near me. I really live in the boonies! But thanks for your reply. I am hopeful that the 3rd time will be a charm and ill get it figured out!

Quoting MusherMaggie: I would suspect that your previous babies had lip and tongue ties. You yourself may have ties, so it's highly likely that this baby will as well. Ties are vertical tissue that restrict the tongue and lips, making for painful latching and inadequate milk transfer from the breast. They are easily diagnosed and revised by a properly trained pediatric dentist or ENT. Look in our FAQ section for a post on ties. There are links to pictures, articles, and a list of reputable providers by state who evaluate and revise ties if they are present. There is also a Tongue Tied Babies group on Facebook with a wealth of information. Take advantage of this and locate a provider ahead of time. It would also benefit your other children and yourself to be evaluated.

Read posts here and on Kellymom.com. Two books: "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from La Leche League. Go to LLLI.org and see if there is a group that meets near you. Meetings are free and it helps to see other mothers nursing in real life. Babies are of course welcome at the meetings. Ask any question that comes to mind. Google "Find an IBCLC" (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant). This is your go-to breastfeeding professional. Most hospital lactation consultants are not certified and do not have complete training or correct information. Doctors do not study breastfeeding or infant nutrition in medical school, so most are not good sources for breastfeeding information or help either. There are a few who do study on their own, but be cautious if the only solution they offer is formula.

Please keep us updated, and welcome!
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 5:52 PM
If you like, take pictures of your children's mouths with the top lip turned up and underneath their tongues. I should be able to see if there is something that needs to be evaluated. It's much better to be prepared ahead of time.
Momsoftwo93
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 5:54 PM
My daughter is soon to be 7 and my son turned 3 in july. Wouldnt they be to old at this point to know?

Quoting MusherMaggie: If you like, take pictures of your children's mouths with the top lip turned up and underneath their tongues. I should be able to see if there is something that needs to be evaluated. It's much better to be prepared ahead of time.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 6:03 PM
Quoting Momsoftwo93: My daughter is soon to be 7 and my son turned 3 in july. Wouldnt they be to old at this point to know?

Quoting MusherMaggie: If you like, take pictures of your children's mouths with the top lip turned up and underneath their tongues. I should be able to see if there is something that needs to be evaluated. It's much better to be prepared ahead of time.

The lip ties might have been torn if they ever fell and hit their mouths, but tongue ties do not go away. I had a lip tie, and I still have a posterior tongue tie. I had very misaligned teeth and a slight speech impediment caused by the tie. Ties can also cause migraines. People who are properly trained can evaluate ties and revise (clip or laser) them. There are adults who have had ties revised and have experienced relief ftom a host of problems.

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 6:36 PM
Dh is 37 and his tongue tie is still there ;)

Quoting Momsoftwo93: My daughter is soon to be 7 and my son turned 3 in july. Wouldnt they be to old at this point to know?

Momsoftwo93
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 6:41 PM
I did not realize any of that! My daughter has a tooth misaligned and the pre school wanted to put my son in speech becuase hes so hard to understand. I just figured hes 3 and he will grow out of it. Some kids take a bit longer to get thier speech down so it was no big deal to me. I can umderstand him 90% of the time lol. But yes that is something I will have to check on when I get home from work!

Quoting MusherMaggie:

The lip ties might have been torn if they ever fell and hit their mouths, but tongue ties do not go away. I had a lip tie, and I still have a posterior tongue tie. I had very misaligned teeth and a slight speech impediment caused by the tie. Ties can also cause migraines. People who are properly trained can evaluate ties and revise (clip or laser) them. There are adults who have had ties revised and have experienced relief ftom a host of problems.
Momsoftwo93
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 6:43 PM
Wow! I'm definitely going to check my kiddos out when I get him from work. If I can get pics ill out them in the comments. I'm not really sure what im looking for lol. I'm sure I can Google images and get a good idea though.

Quoting audmom1218: Dh is 37 and his tongue tie is still there ;)

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 10:31 PM
Quoting Momsoftwo93: Wow! I'm definitely going to check my kiddos out when I get him from work. If I can get pics ill out them in the comments. I'm not really sure what im looking for lol. I'm sure I can Google images and get a good idea though.

The post on ties in our FAQ section will give you a lot of information on ties and their consequences.

Momsoftwo93
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2018 at 11:20 PM
I have been reading and looking at pictures the last few hours. My kids don't seem to have either that resemble the pics on lip or tongue ties... Not sure if that was the problem we was having or not.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting Momsoftwo93: Wow! I'm definitely going to check my kiddos out when I get him from work. If I can get pics ill out them in the comments. I'm not really sure what im looking for lol. I'm sure I can Google images and get a good idea though.

The post on ties in our FAQ section will give you a lot of information on ties and their consequences.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)