Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3rd baby otw and I want to breastfeed so bad!

Posted by   + Show Post
So I started off a very young mom. 17 years old to be exact. And my aunt brestfed her duaghter and I really liked the idea of it. So after she was born the nurse brought her to me to try this for the first time. It hurt. Bad! And when I told the nurse this she was kind of rude and just said "well it won't hurt if your doing it right" and left. Thanks for the help lady😒. Needless to say after about 24 hours of not being able to figure it out and not getting any help what so ever. I gave up.

With my son, not only was I a bit older but I was in a diffrent state with a different Dr and different hospital and nurses. So again I knew I wanted to breastfeed. Not only is it better for me and my son but it saves so much money. So as soon as he was born we did the skin to skin for an hour before anyone did anything else with either of us. I loved it! The nurses knew I was going to breastfeed and helped so much more then what I got with my daughter. And it wasnt terrible while at the hospital. Still painful but the nurse had told me that there could be some discomfort fpr the first month or so until my niples become tougher and I get used to it. I was able to breastfeed for 1 week. But by the end of that week I was in so much pain feeding him. To the point of stomping the floor and crying while he fed. He seemed fine! But once again I gave up. Feeling lime I had no help to figure it out 😞

Now I live in a very small area of KY. Our closest hospital is about an hour away. And who knows how far away the closest LC is?! I'm literally in BFE KY! Well today I found this group on here and ive read through some post and I am hopeful that many of you can help me prepare for my next little one who is due in Aug! I have 7 months to learn what "let down" means and what a proper latch is. Plus much more as I've seen there is so much more to this then just putting ypur boon in baby's mouth! So anyone with any advise that would like to help me prepare for this please feel free to comment! I'm very determined to breastfeed for no less then the first 6 months of my baby's life! Tyia
by on Jan. 3, 2018 at 12:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2018 at 9:51 AM
Let me see some pictures. It's hard to spot a posterior tie if you dont know what you're looking for.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2018 at 10:13 AM
This is an interesting article that I just ran across.
http://www.drghaheri.com/blog/2016/1/2/how-the-system-can-fail-breastfeeding-families
B3autifulCha0s
by Member on Jan. 4, 2018 at 10:18 AM
My middle child had a lip tie lasered this summer. She’s 6. Her smile has improved, her reflux has improved. I knew she had one from birth but no one would listen to me. Took a new DDS to listen and she agreed that lasering it now would help when her adult teeth grew. Not to mention she’s always struggled with gas and reflux. It’s gotten a lot better.

Quoting Momsoftwo93: My daughter is soon to be 7 and my son turned 3 in july. Wouldnt they be to old at this point to know?
Quoting MusherMaggie: If you like, take pictures of your children's mouths with the top lip turned up and underneath their tongues. I should be able to see if there is something that needs to be evaluated. It's much better to be prepared ahead of time.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2018 at 4:52 PM
Quoting B3autifulCha0s: My middle child had a lip tie lasered this summer. She’s 6. Her smile has improved, her reflux has improved. I knew she had one from birth but no one would listen to me. Took a new DDS to listen and she agreed that lasering it now would help when her adult teeth grew. Not to mention she’s always struggled with gas and reflux. It’s gotten a lot better.

Quoting Momsoftwo93: My daughter is soon to be 7 and my son turned 3 in july. Wouldnt they be to old at this point to know?
Quoting MusherMaggie: If you like, take pictures of your children's mouths with the top lip turned up and underneath their tongues. I should be able to see if there is something that needs to be evaluated. It's much better to be prepared ahead of time.

Lip ties are almost always accompanied by posterior tongue ties. Was that checked for?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

LuvMay2010
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2018 at 5:22 PM
Well first that's awesome you want to breastfeed and congratulations on your pregnancy!!I was the same with my first I too was young and it was to painful.The first two weeks are the hardest soreness and all once you get used to it and learn the proper latch it will be easy the ladies on here are a big help !good luck!!
B3autifulCha0s
by Member on Jan. 4, 2018 at 6:05 PM
Yeah, she checked before the lasering and during. She was pretty thorough and I was happy she actually listened me about it. She had a very obvious lip tie and the pediatrician said it wasn’t an issue and same with a previous DDS.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting B3autifulCha0s: My middle child had a lip tie lasered this summer. She’s 6. Her smile has improved, her reflux has improved. I knew she had one from birth but no one would listen to me. Took a new DDS to listen and she agreed that lasering it now would help when her adult teeth grew. Not to mention she’s always struggled with gas and reflux. It’s gotten a lot better.

Lip ties are almost always accompanied by posterior tongue ties. Was that checked for?
SPNpudding
by Member on Jan. 5, 2018 at 5:13 PM

Mobile Photo

These are amazing! I was 16 when I had my DD and these are the only thing that kept me breastfeeding her for as long as I did because it was painful for me too.

I never actually got to nurse DD2 because she was born early and stayed in the NICU for 2 months. I pumped while she was in the NICU and dried up around the time she came home. I was 18 with her and didn't stick to a pumping schedule or got educated on how to keep my supply up.

I just purchased more of these shields for when my twins get to come home. I just had them on Monday, and they're in the NICU so I'm exclusively pumping again. I have been making myself pump every 3 hours for 30 minutes since they brought me a pump in the hospital. I am determined this time to EBF for a year at least.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2018 at 8:28 PM
Quoting SPNpudding:

Mobile Photo

These are amazing! I was 16 when I had my DD and these are the only thing that kept me breastfeeding her for as long as I did because it was painful for me too.

I never actually got to nurse DD2 because she was born early and stayed in the NICU for 2 months. I pumped while she was in the NICU and dried up around the time she came home. I was 18 with her and didn't stick to a pumping schedule or got educated on how to keep my supply up.

I just purchased more of these shields for when my twins get to come home. I just had them on Monday, and they're in the NICU so I'm exclusively pumping again. I have been making myself pump every 3 hours for 30 minutes since they brought me a pump in the hospital. I am determined this time to EBF for a year at least.

Were you ever able to nurse without them?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

SPNpudding
by Member on Jan. 7, 2018 at 12:02 PM
Yes in the beginning with DD1, but it got to be painful.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting SPNpudding:

Mobile Photo

Were you ever able to nurse without them?
2littleones18
by on Jan. 9, 2018 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I went through the exact the same thing with my second baby. Our stories are very similar. I tried hand expression and though a lot of work, it helped me breastfeed for 9 months

http://youcandoit-mom.com/articles/hand-expression-a-life-technique-for-breastfeeding-yet-working-moms
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)