Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this ok?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2018 at 12:47 PM
  • 4 Replies
Hey mamas. My baby is 10 days old and breastfeeding is still going very well! During the day he eats (based on his cues) every 2-2.5 hours. He eats for a good 15-20 minutes, usually poops, is awake for 15 mins or so, and goes back to sleep. Sometimes he “snacks” for a minute again before falling back asleep.

During the night he’s veRy different. We are currently bed sharing. (He usually goes to bed around 10:30) after a feed). He will go 3-4 hours between feeds and will only eat for 5-7 mins. Last night he went 12-4:30am without eating. He nursed for 5 mins, then wanted more around 5:50am (5 mins) and then was content until 8:20am.

I’m just wondering if it’s ok to let him go longer between feeds. Should I wake him up after a certain time? Should I try to wake him a little so he nurses a full 15 minutes? Or just let him be?
I should mention he does take a pacifier but he will not take it if he is actually hungry. He only occasionally needs it during the day when his brother is being noisy/baby is trying to nap.

Idk if I’m doing it right 🤷‍♀️ My oldest was bottle fed...
by on Jan. 16, 2018 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mama_danetta
by Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 12:50 PM
If he is having enough wet and poopy diapers then everything is fine.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 4:14 PM
Just let him regulate how much and when he wants it. He will be heading into a growth spurt soon and all this will change--he wil likely want to nurse 24/7,or at least it will seem that way! As long as he is going through six to eight diapers every twenty-four hours with at least two quarter sized poops every day, all is well.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 4:23 PM
As long as diapers are good then that is great! Follow his cues and make a sacrifice to the sleep gods!!
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 16, 2018 at 4:39 PM
Exactly this lol

Quoting audmom1218: As long as diapers are good then that is great! Follow his cues and make a sacrifice to the sleep gods!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)