Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Engorged?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2018 at 2:08 PM
  • 15 Replies
I exclusively pump because my babies are in the NICU.

During the day, I pump every 3 hours and every 4 hours at night. My schedule to pump is at the same times the twins are fed: 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 10pm, and 2am.
Last night, I was extremely tired and I ended up pumping at 11:30 and not again until 6am. My boobs were so sore and it felt like I had rocks in them. I've been consistent today with pumping every 3 hours for relief but I feel like I can't entirely empty my left side.

What can I do to help get some relief? I have a good supply but I hate that I slipped up last night and didn't get up at all to pump.
by on Jan. 16, 2018 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dani1009
by Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 2:20 PM
I exclusively pumped when my twins were newborns because they had latch issues. I pumped every 2 hours around the clock, so I understand that you are tired! You may have a blocked duct that is preventing you from emptying your breast. Is it tender or sore in a certain area?
SPNpudding
by Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 2:34 PM
Yes it is in one spot. I also have a cyst in that breast but I have an appointment tomorrow to make sure it isn't growing or requires a biopsy.

Quoting Dani1009: I exclusively pumped when my twins were newborns because they had latch issues. I pumped every 2 hours around the clock, so I understand that you are tired! You may have a blocked duct that is preventing you from emptying your breast. Is it tender or sore in a certain area?
Dani1009
by Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 2:41 PM
I've had more blocked ducts than I can count. What works for me every time is putting an ice pack on the spot for 5 minutes before & after pumping or nursing. It helps reduce the swelling in the blocked area. Then massage that spot & all around it while pumping. It will hurt since it's so tender. Keep repeating until you feel some relief. Some women describe seeing or feeling the blockage release. I never have, it just starts to feel less intense & then feels bruised the following day.

Quoting SPNpudding: Yes it is in one spot. I also have a cyst in that breast but I have an appointment tomorrow to make sure it isn't growing or requires a biopsy.

Quoting Dani1009: I exclusively pumped when my twins were newborns because they had latch issues. I pumped every 2 hours around the clock, so I understand that you are tired! You may have a blocked duct that is preventing you from emptying your breast. Is it tender or sore in a certain area?
SPNpudding
by Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 3:39 PM
Okay awesome thanks! Do you think I should pump more often today since I slacked last night, or keep my normal schedule? I guess the blocked ducts come from going so long without pumping?

Quoting Dani1009: I've had more blocked ducts than I can count. What works for me every time is putting an ice pack on the spot for 5 minutes before & after pumping or nursing. It helps reduce the swelling in the blocked area. Then massage that spot & all around it while pumping. It will hurt since it's so tender. Keep repeating until you feel some relief. Some women describe seeing or feeling the blockage release. I never have, it just starts to feel less intense & then feels bruised the following day.

Quoting SPNpudding: Yes it is in one spot. I also have a cyst in that breast but I have an appointment tomorrow to make sure it isn't growing or requires a biopsy.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Use ice and ibuprofen to bring the swelling down. Do your regular pumping schedule. Keep an eye on that left side to be sure a pluuged duct doesn't form. If you feel a lump or hot spot, massage it down while pumping. Lecithin supplement will help thin it out if necessary.
Dani1009
by Member on Jan. 16, 2018 at 9:32 PM
Stick to your usual schedule. Blocked ducts just happen sometimes. Pumping doesn't empty the breasts as well as nursing. For me, stress does it. If I have an awful day at work, within 12-36 hours, I'll have a blocked duct.
Have you been finding some relief for yoir blocked duct?

Quoting SPNpudding: Okay awesome thanks! Do you think I should pump more often today since I slacked last night, or keep my normal schedule? I guess the blocked ducts come from going so long without pumping?

Quoting Dani1009: I've had more blocked ducts than I can count. What works for me every time is putting an ice pack on the spot for 5 minutes before & after pumping or nursing. It helps reduce the swelling in the blocked area. Then massage that spot & all around it while pumping. It will hurt since it's so tender. Keep repeating until you feel some relief. Some women describe seeing or feeling the blockage release. I never have, it just starts to feel less intense & then feels bruised the following day.

caydensmommy8
by Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 7:05 PM
I had that problem for the first week especially with my right one. I too, was exclusively pumping as my daughter was in the NICU. The lactation consultant suggested using a heating pad on my boob's for about 5 minutes before pumping and that helped get the milk flowing more freely and I was able to empty to empty then and not feel like I had what felt like rocks at tops of my boob's anymore.
princessmara
by New Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 7:28 PM
I also exclusive pumped for my DD, it took 6 months of trying to finally get her to latch. My first thought is you aren't pumping often enough. The longest you should go is 2 hours. If you were nursing directly from the breast you would be nursing every 60-90 minutes. Babies that young shouldn't be fed on a schedule, especially when nursing they need to be fed on demand.
SPNpudding
by Member on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:04 PM
So I kept pumping like normal and skipped a few sessions (it's not as easy pumping at home with DH and the kids as it was in the hospital alone with nothing else to do all day lol) but I'm really kicking myself because I feel like my supply has dropped dramatically! Now I'm stressing. Just last week I felt like I couldn't get it all, and this week I haven't filled a single bottle on either side. 😭😭😭😭
Yesterday and today I did a "power pump" session and I'm drinking more water. I get about 5oz each session right now, and I've been super consistent with pumping every 3 hours.

Quoting Dani1009: Stick to your usual schedule. Blocked ducts just happen sometimes. Pumping doesn't empty the breasts as well as nursing. For me, stress does it. If I have an awful day at work, within 12-36 hours, I'll have a blocked duct.

Quoting SPNpudding: Okay awesome thanks! Do you think I should pump more often today since I slacked last night, or keep my normal schedule? I guess the blocked ducts come from going so long without pumping?

Dani1009
by Member on Jan. 22, 2018 at 6:16 PM
I was told to pump every 2 hours around the clock when I had twins. It was the most miserable thing, but I did it. I was so tired I remember hallucinating sometimes in the middle of the night. I was exhausted. I also took a supplement called fenugreek to help when I couldn't produce enough in the early weeks. It smells like maple syrup (And will make you smell like it too, but it really did help me). I was finally producing enough when my twins were 6 weeks old, so I no longer had to supplement with formula at that time.
Do you have enough milk for them or are they also getting formula? How many ounces are you getting in 24 hours? How old are they now? Congrats by the way! Twins are amazing fun!

Quoting SPNpudding: So I kept pumping like normal and skipped a few sessions (it's not as easy pumping at home with DH and the kids as it was in the hospital alone with nothing else to do all day lol) but I'm really kicking myself because I feel like my supply has dropped dramatically! Now I'm stressing. Just last week I felt like I couldn't get it all, and this week I haven't filled a single bottle on either side. 😭😭😭😭
Yesterday and today I did a "power pump" session and I'm drinking more water. I get about 5oz each session right now, and I've been super consistent with pumping every 3 hours.

Quoting Dani1009: Stick to your usual schedule. Blocked ducts just happen sometimes. Pumping doesn't empty the breasts as well as nursing. For me, stress does it. If I have an awful day at work, within 12-36 hours, I'll have a blocked duct.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)