Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling a little discouraged

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 1:39 PM
  • 14 Replies

Mobile Photo

Baby is 13 days old. He was 5lbs 10oz at birth and dropped to 5lbs 3oz. He gained 3 whole ounces between day 3 and day 5. And as of day 11, he only gained 2 oz in the last week 😫 he’s still 1.5lbs from his birth weight

Here I was thinking it was going great. He poops like 5 times a day and sleeps after he eats and is very content. I do kind of have to wake him up after 2.5-3hours because I feel like he would just keep sleeping...

Ugh I just not sure how he gained so little! Maybe I’m not nursing him long enough? He nurses for maybe 10 mins , falls asleep (so I have to rouse him back) and then another 10 minutes, sometimes having to wake him up again.
I tried feeding him longer since the appointment Wednesday, but that just makes him spit up more. He spits up after almost every feed 🙁 yesterday kind of a lot (probably from eating too much). My milk is very fast/forceful so I know he gets a lot in a short time.
I tried feeding him more often today instead but he’s just not interested...

Any advice ladies? What Can I do?
by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 1:58 PM
If he is pooping, he is fine. We actually look for loss during the first two weeks. For the overactive letdown and oversupply, try reclined nursing; you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically instead of horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Also, take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with it open, under the tongue. He may have ties that need to be evaluated and released.

Also, all weights should be taken on the same properly calibrated scales in order to be accurate. Was he jaundiced at all? That would account for sleepiness.

In the next week, he will hit his first growth spurt and want to nurse more frequently. Try wearing him in a wrap or sling, skin-to-skin if you can. This is stimulating. You are doing better than you think.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 19, 2018 at 11:40 PM
Was he a preemie at all? What week was he born at?
wmendes
by Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 7:37 AM
Nope, 39 weeks :-) I was also a bit surprised at how tiny he was. I just make small babies 👶🏻 (#1 was 6lbs4oz at39 weeks).

Quoting Junebaby18: Was he a preemie at all? What week was he born at?
Luke8212013
by Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 9:45 PM
He is so cute!! Sounds like he’s getting plenty as much as he’s pooping. Don’t be discouraged, you’re doing great!
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 21, 2018 at 12:27 AM
Quoting wmendes: Nope, 39 weeks :-) I was also a bit surprised at how tiny he was. I just make small babies 👶🏻 (#1 was 6lbs4oz at39 weeks).

Quoting Junebaby18: Was he a preemie at all? What week was he born at?

I always wanted a small baby! Never happened. My smallest was 8 lbs 5 oz. He was 3 pushes, so I think if I would have had a small baby a sneeze would have sent them flying! lol
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 3:57 AM
I’m confused by the math, do you mean 1.5 oz from birthweight? 5lb 10oz down to 5lb 3oz, then gained 3 oz so 5lb 6oz then another 2 so 5 lb 8oz. If he’s only 4lb 2oz (1.5lbs) I would probably start to look into ties, or what else is going on, but At 11 days 5lb 8oz would be totally fine! Like others said week one is for loss then gain picks up. Keep watching diapers and poops! I knew ds wasn’t gaining because he NEVER pooped more than once a day. (We had a tongue tie). Sure enough once the ties were revised he started to gain but the poops were still only once a day by that point (5 weeks). But much larger! He only lost 2oz from birth to lowest but it took over a month for him to gain that back. My doc was never concerned about his weight, only that his latch was causing me pain and referred me on for tie evaluation.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 8:46 AM
I just looked at your post again. Something doesn't quite add up. Do you mean he is still 5 ounces below birth weight? He doesn't appear to have lost more than 7 ounces total.
wmendes
by Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 10:39 AM
Oops! Totally meant 1.5oz! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Mommy brain lol

Quoting audmom1218: I’m confused by the math, do you mean 1.5 oz from birthweight? 5lb 10oz down to 5lb 3oz, then gained 3 oz so 5lb 6oz then another 2 so 5 lb 8oz. If he’s only 4lb 2oz (1.5lbs) I would probably start to look into ties, or what else is going on, but At 11 days 5lb 8oz would be totally fine! Like others said week one is for loss then gain picks up. Keep watching diapers and poops! I knew ds wasn’t gaining because he NEVER pooped more than once a day. (We had a tongue tie). Sure enough once the ties were revised he started to gain but the poops were still only once a day by that point (5 weeks). But much larger! He only lost 2oz from birth to lowest but it took over a month for him to gain that back. My doc was never concerned about his weight, only that his latch was causing me pain and referred me on for tie evaluation.
wmendes
by Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 10:41 AM
I definitely meant 1.5oz 😜🤦🏻‍♀️ As of Wednesday he was 5lbs8.5oz.

I think he’s getting too much foremilk. I decided to do block feeding for a bit to see if that will help.

Quoting MusherMaggie: I just looked at your post again. Something doesn't quite add up. Do you mean he is still 5 ounces below birth weight? He doesn't appear to have lost more than 7 ounces total.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2018 at 11:05 AM
I wouldn’t block feed or do anything to reduce supply yet! You’re totally fine at this point!!!

Quoting wmendes: I definitely meant 1.5oz 😜🤦🏻‍♀️ As of Wednesday he was 5lbs8.5oz.

I think he’s getting too much foremilk. I decided to do block feeding for a bit to see if that will help.

Quoting MusherMaggie: I just looked at your post again. Something doesn't quite add up. Do you mean he is still 5 ounces below birth weight? He doesn't appear to have lost more than 7 ounces total.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)