Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Building stash ideas/ sugestions

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2018 at 1:17 PM
  • 9 Replies
FTM ebf, So I returned to work but for 2 month I have been trying to build my stash. I have manage to pump about 40-50 OZ so far pumping once a day. Now that I am back at work I am pumping 2-3 times a day. My issue is I will be going on training for 6 weeks and will be away from my lo. My concern is how to keep my supply up while I am away and how to pump enough for lo to have while I am gone. It seems that pumping few times a day will not cut it. I only get about 16oz a day as of now. Any ideas and suggestions welcomed please.
by on Feb. 28, 2018 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 7:48 AM
First, be sure your baby is not being overfed. Bottles should be 2-3 ounces and offered every 2-3 hours. Always use the slowest flow newborn nipple, no matter the baby's age. Basby should be held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows the brain to register that the tummy is full, preventing overfeeding and preserving your supply.

About the training: will you be home at night, or totally away from your baby for six weeks? Your baby will need 24-30 ounces every 24 hours. Is there any way the baby can be brought to you?

I would add two more pumping sessions to your day, including on the weekends. Pump on one side while your baby nurses on the other. Fenugreek will help increase supply, as will steel cut oatmeal, peaches, macadamia nuts and coconut water. You can look up recipes for lactation cookies. I have even seen them in the Sprouts store! Kellymom.com is another good resource for information on increasing supply.
shiarhars
by Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 10:52 AM
I will be 8 hours away for the entire duration, reason why I need to build enough to leave at home. I have been making lactation chocolate cookies and drinking mothers milk tea. I also just got a haaka to help as well. I do have to get my husband in the habit of burping baby every oz she drinks. I was told by my daycare to have 4 oz bottles for the duration of 8 hours she will be at daycare, that's about 5 bottles per day. I will try they macadamia and the peaches to see if that helps as well. Thanks
Quoting MusherMaggie: First, be sure your baby is not being overfed. Bottles should be 2-3 ounces and offered every 2-3 hours. Always use the slowest flow newborn nipple, no matter the baby's age. Basby should be held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows the brain to register that the tummy is full, preventing overfeeding and preserving your supply. About the training: will you be home at night, or totally away from your baby for six weeks? Your baby will need 24-30 ounces every 24 hours. Is there any way the baby can be brought to you? I would add two more pumping sessions to your day, including on the weekends. Pump on one side while your baby nurses on the other. Fenugreek will help increase supply, as will steel cut oatmeal, peaches, macadamia nuts and coconut water. You can look up recipes for lactation cookies. I have even seen them in the Sprouts store! Kellymom.com is another good resource for information on increasing supply.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2018 at 10:42 PM
Twenty ounces of milk for eight hours is way too much, and there is no way you can keep up with that by pumping. They daycare providers also need to use paced bottlefeeding method. Her stomach will be stretched to the point that she will no longer be satisfied with nurseing, leading ultimately to a formula-fed baby. I am not trying to be harsh, just stating fact. Unless I have misunderstood?
shiarhars
by Member on Mar. 2, 2018 at 1:02 PM
So you think that is too much. I should have them give her 3oz per feeding. Ill have to check with them on the pace feeding to make sure that they will be doing that. She will start Monday and will be there from about 6am to 5pm
Quoting MusherMaggie: Twenty ounces of milk for eight hours is way too much, and there is no way you can keep up with that by pumping. They daycare providers also need to use paced bottlefeeding method. Her stomach will be stretched to the point that she will no longer be satisfied with nurseing, leading ultimately to a formula-fed baby. I am not trying to be harsh, just stating fact. Unless I have misunderstood?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2018 at 6:56 PM
Okay, for eleven hours, she will need 11-14 ounces. I would make four 3 ounce bottles and put two ounces in that last one, to be fed as yhe last bottle if she needs it. How long before the training starts?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

shiarhars
by Member on Mar. 6, 2018 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Its in may. I been pumping since jan. I have a lil stash bit still want to make sure i leave enough. Until i can send more in. I added 2 more pump to my day and been using the haaka as well. I found a site that provides me packages to ship my milk home. Now all i have to do is find a freezer there to freez what i pump out there.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Okay, for eleven hours, she will need 11-14 ounces. I would make four 3 ounce bottles and put two ounces in that last one, to be fed as yhe last bottle if she needs it. How long before the training starts?
kidmom581
by Member on Apr. 8, 2018 at 1:18 PM

I have milk supply issues badly. I was only able to fully breastfeed my first for 3 months, and he was able to have about a bottle a day of breast milk (the rest was formula) until 6months old when my body just quit producing. This time around I have been on Healthy nursing tea. It help my supply keep my daughter fully on breast milk and am able to pump enough while I am at work.

shiarhars
by Member on May. 5, 2018 at 9:30 PM
What tea do you drink?

Quoting kidmom581:

I have milk supply issues badly. I was only able to fully breastfeed my first for 3 months, and he was able to have about a bottle a day of breast milk (the rest was formula) until 6months old when my body just quit producing. This time around I have been on Healthy nursing tea. It help my supply keep my daughter fully on breast milk and am able to pump enough while I am at work.

kidmom581
by Member on May. 9, 2018 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting shiarhars: What tea do you drink?
Quoting kidmom581:

This one

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Nursing-Lactation-Tea-Secrets/dp/B00E285Z5G

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)