Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Full breasts...very little coming out when pumping?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2018 at 9:03 AM
  • 4 Replies
I’m hoping you ladies can give me some suggestions here. My baby is 7 weeks old and she’s starting to sleep more through the night. I need to pump and build up some stored milk since I have to go back to work in 5 weeks. I pump in the middle of the night mostly because my breasts are almost painfully engorged since she’s only eating once at night and usually only from one side.

I get at the absolute most 2-3 Oz...but I know there’s way more cuz they stil feel full. I’ve adjusted the strength and suction every possible way...and nothing. I have a Hygeia Enjoye pump...I feel like it might be the pump? I don’t think i’m having a problem letting down but I’m not real sure of that either.

Help?
by on Mar. 2, 2018 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2018 at 7:04 PM
A normal pumping session yields .5-2 ounces when done in place of a feeding. You're getting almost double that. How many times a day are you pumping?

Keep in mind that she will need only 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours. Always use the slowest flow newborn nipple, baby held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows the brain to register that the tummy is full, preventing overfeeding and preserving your supply.

The membranes on the pump might need to be changed. Are the flanges the proper size?
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Mar. 6, 2018 at 11:21 PM
Before pumping, dangle your breasts and massage in and down towards the nipple. It's kind of like priming the tubes. That will help bring down more milk. Make sure the part where your nipple goes in to is the correct size. If it's too big or too small, you won't be able to get the milk out correctly.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 8:48 AM
Yes,this, absolutely!

Quoting Junebaby18: Before pumping, dangle your breasts and massage in and down towards the nipple. It's kind of like priming the tubes. That will help bring down more milk. Make sure the part where your nipple goes in to is the correct size. If it's too big or too small, you won't be able to get the milk out correctly.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

kgbm13
by Member on Mar. 7, 2018 at 9:23 PM

What she said.  🔽  if you want to also see the yield pump the side your not nursing from while feeding Baby on the other side.  This can help if you had a let down issue but honestly I don’t think so.  And for now your body is still getting used to everything and Baby will have a growth soon if not started already and then your supply if you don’t go pump crazy will equal out with supply and demand.

Quoting MusherMaggie: A normal pumping session yields .5-2 ounces when done in place of a feeding. You're getting almost double that. How many times a day are you pumping? Keep in mind that she will need only 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours. Always use the slowest flow newborn nipple, baby held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This allows the brain to register that the tummy is full, preventing overfeeding and preserving your supply. The membranes on the pump might need to be changed. Are the flanges the proper size?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)