Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to expect, pumping for baby in NICU.

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2018 at 2:06 PM
  • 3 Replies

Mobile Photo

Had my little guy this morning via c-section. He’s 36/37wks. We had the steroid shots and a mag drip at 30wks. He’s not breathing well on his own so they’ve taken him to NICU and he’s got a CPAP mask on. They want me to start pumping to give him via tube because he can’t nurse or eat on his own if he isn’t breathing on his own.

What am I to expect? I’ve never had to do this before. Will this hurt nursing later on?
by on Mar. 21, 2018 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this
You absolutely need to start pumping right now. The colostrum, the first milk, is very thick and hard to pump, but it is vital that he gets this. It's a super-milk, containing antibodies and good bacteria that will set up his gut flora properly. Get a double electric pump. See if the hospital has one you can rent while you check to see if your insurance provides one. You will need to pump every hour and a half to two hours around the clock for fifteen minutes. Don't be discouraged by the amount--it will increase. Keep a shirt your baby has worn with you to sniff while you pump. It helps to stimulate the flow. Massaging your breasts and using watm compresses just before you pump will also help.
armytriplets
by New Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I pumped for my triplets while they were In the hospital. You will do great and it will make nursing easier when the time comes.
B3autifulCha0s
by Member on Mar. 21, 2018 at 11:13 PM
2 moms liked this
I started pumping but once I got to the mother baby unit. I pump about 5mls of colostrum every 2hrs. The first pump session was actually 23mls. All the nurses were impressed lol.

He can’t nurse yet. But they’re giving him little amounts of colostrum via Gtube and swabs in his mouth.

I’m using a pump from the hospital and lutnon anlost to receive my own hospital grade pump this week.

Quoting MusherMaggie: You absolutely need to start pumping right now. The colostrum, the first milk, is very thick and hard to pump, but it is vital that he gets this. It's a super-milk, containing antibodies and good bacteria that will set up his gut flora properly. Get a double electric pump. See if the hospital has one you can rent while you check to see if your insurance provides one. You will need to pump every hour and a half to two hours around the clock for fifteen minutes. Don't be discouraged by the amount--it will increase. Keep a shirt your baby has worn with you to sniff while you pump. It helps to stimulate the flow. Massaging your breasts and using watm compresses just before you pump will also help.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)